+1

Could use some help 08 GTX fires up then dies.

A little back story.... I recieved my rebuilt engine from Eastside Powersports (details in sig) and installed it myself. I went to crank it for the first time, put in the key, built 58psi easily, but the start/stop button did nothing and gauges displayed 1513 code (I think that was it).

After some research I found out the gauges weren't married to the ecu. I thought my stock ecu was tuned and sent back, but I'm guessing this ecu isn't the same one originally from my ski. Either way, I unplugged the gauges and it fired right up!! No problems at all, just don't have gauges. Idleing on the hose she was running VERY rich (10.5-11 WB), but she ran. I dropped the ski in the water just to check for water leaks and let her come up to temp. Everything checked out fine thankfully so I went for a very low rpm cruise still running extremely rich. It sputtered and cut out a few times but fired right up every time. Could get up on plane using very light throttle, but anything more and it would sputter and die. I just figured the plugs were fouled from running rich.

Also, I assumed it was running in limp mode and was essentially using a stock "safe" tune and running rich due to 80lb injectors. I threw it on the trailer and got to the dealer as soon as I could to marry the gauge cluster. All went well with that and I tried to fire it up, but it sputtered and died. Threw in some fresh plugs and it ran for 5-10 seconds and I shut it off.

Good to go right?! Nope. I get to the lake and it absolutely will not run for more than 2-3 seconds in the water. Brand new battery BTW fully charged. Fuel pressure rock solid @58psi. No codes or anything. So I give up and pull it out of the water. I crank it to push water out of the box and it fires up after the second try!! Sputters a little at idle (probably due to the big cam), but revs smoothly through the rpms. I shut it off after 20 seconds or so, and dunk it back in the water. I just left it on the trailer and tried to fire it up again, and it just cranks up fine, then sputters and dies just like before!! Ugh!!!

I'm at a complete loss now. One thing I did notice was if I used any throttle at all in the water to try to keep it running, it would die almost instantly like it's not getting any fuel at all. The bad thing is, it won't run long enough to check my WB for lean/rich. Is there any chance marrying the gauges wiped the Eastside tune off the ECU? Obviously everything on the motor is brand new, but I am using my stock coils. This is driving me nuts guys.
    Last edited by SilverLT1vert; 09-16-2018 at 12:39 PM.

+1
    Also, I checked every single fuse with my multimeter and even swapped a few out anyway. All engine grounds in proper location, no corrosion, and tight. Checked and wiggled every single connector on the engine and around engine. No corrosion on any connector and I used dielectric grease on all connectors during the engine installation. Anti-seize on plugs, dielectric on coils. No vacuum leaks anywhere on intake (visually inspected when it was off doing reinforcement mod). I'm not sure how to pressure test the intake, lol! Everything in the pump is new, so nothing is caught in the pump. I seriously can't think of anything else.

+1
    To be clear you are running 80lb injectors with a standard tune?
    look no further until you match it up properly.

+1
    Nope. The ecu was tuned by Eastside Powersports and is specific for his head/cam combo. I just assumed I was running in limp home mode since I unplugged the gauges to get it to run at all. I also assumed limp mode would revert to a stock "safe" tune, which combined with 80lb injectors would explain my extreme rich condition.

Once the gauges were married I assumed yet again that would take it out of limp mode and essentially "unlock" the Eastside tune in the ecu. I haven't been able to get it to run long enough to confirm the correct tune is in there.

+1
    As you suspect the marrying of the gauges may have upset the ECU, eastside will be able to tell you if Budds hookup could be the culprit.

+1
    Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. I'll try my best to get a hold of Chris this week and get his thoughts on it. I figured it was worth posting the issue to see if anyone has run into the same symptoms I'm seeing and what their solution was. Just so I'd have some direction as to what to test/check on the ski.

Quick update: I just fired it up in the garage, and after a few tries I can get it to continue running by barely modulating the throttle, but if I let it go below 2500rpm, or give it too much throttle it just dies. I can't help but think it's fuel related, but since everything is brand new with plenty of fuel pressure, all I can think of possibly ecu/tune issue.

I believe if the dealer preformed any updates while marring the gages it would effect the tune.
    I bought an Ecu form a guy that flashed it for my older ski. His exact words were if you let the dealer do any upgrades to the Ecu your ski will not run after.

+1
    I wonder what kind of effect it would have? If it wrote a stock tune over the performance tune, the I could swap the stock injectors back in and it should technically run right? If I have to send the ecu back to Chris to be tuned again, does that mean I'll have to marry the gauges, etc to the ski again?

I was standing there while the tech did the service. I told him the ecu was tuned, so I doubt he wiped it clean, nor did I notice him updating the software on the ecu. Basically just checked the speedo sensor, un-checked VTS (which is why I think it's an ecu from a different ski, but whatever), and paired two new keys to the ski. Basically took 10mins or so.

After the hurricane is over I'll hook it to the hose and try to run it long enough to read the air fuel ratio. If it's crazy rich like before then it's definitely a stock tune, but if it's anywhere near 14:1 then I guess the tune is on there.

Thread Information