NEED HELP 97 1100 STX cooling hosefitting keeps breaking!

Hi all -New to this forum, trying to help my husband out. Picked up 2 1100 STXs about 4 years ago. Have always run great. This year after a week of hard riding, husband noticed no water coming from pisser. The metal fitting that connects the cooling hose to the elbow shaped pipe on top of the exhaust sheared off. Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology, I'll try to attach a picture of our other ski showing where it keeps breaking He replaced with a brass fitting that was similar. Couple of good lake days and it broke again in the exact same place. He flushed all the obvious hoses but it happened again. Any suggestions? What could cause this? What should he look for? Your answers can be technical, he'll understand what you're talking about even if I don't. Thanks No luck on the picture. I'll keep trying.

+1
    Welcome aboard, Thisolstx!

The hose fitting that feeds the pisser hose is #92062 in this drawing: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....1)%20MUFFLER(S)

Is that the part that breaks? I've never heard of that part breaking, there's really not load on it except for the small hose. I would inspect the bottom of the seat to see if something it rubbing on the fitting.

Something else to look at on the 1100 engine is the oil pump drive coupling bearings. If you're still running oil injection (which I like, by the way), I would highly recommend replacing them every couple of years: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=258295

EDIT: On second thought, tell your husband to look at the engine mounts. Perhaps the mount is broken and allowing the engine to rise up and hit the bottom of the seat.

[B]Thanks Steve.

On your diagram the part that is breaking is the 92005. It is shearing off where the fitting connects to the elbow shaped pipe on the top of the exhaust.

Never too many toys!
    Last edited by Thisolstx; 09-15-2018 at 03:34 PM.

+1
    I really don't have a clue why it would break. Never saw that before.

+1
    Something has to be hitting it somehow. Only thing I can think of (as Steve mentioned) is the engine mounts are bad or loose and the engine is torquing and/or bouncing up and hitting the seat. That fitting is under absolutely no stress from anything.

Thanks for the suggestions. Mounts seemed OK but he tweeked them anyway and it was fine yesterday. I guess we'll just keep a supply of the fittings with us until it's time to put them away. Sadly, around here that is pretty soon!

+1
    Perhaps he's putting the fitting in too tight and cracking the threads. He needs to clean the threads on both pieces, then apply some Teflon pipe dope (use the paste, not the tape), and don't tighten the fitting real tight.

Is there a hose fitting or anything for flushing? The original setup had just a 5/8" nipple with a black rubber cap. You took the cap off and slid a 5/8" garden hose over it--not a very good setup. There are a lot of aftermarket flush hose adaptors that you might look into.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-ZX...ss!79706!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-75...ss!79706!US!-1

Thread Information