Cool Best older 3 seaters?

I am looking for a 4 stroke 3 seater so I can double another adult (my 2 seater 97 GP 760 and 800 dont do the trick!), but NO way am i buying new! My budget is around 4000$ or less.. preferably LESS.. as hubby says. So I am looking at older models.. maybe early 2000's? So many out there... I dont know what all these models have/dont have..or what I really need. I do know I need to be able to carry another adult... I weight 240, and I am thinking another adult maybe weighing around 200 or less.. and be STABIL! I dont like feeling like I am bout to turn over like on the others we have. Would be nice to pull a single tube... but not a deal breaker if it cant. Definitely 4 stroke, with reverse/ Other than that.. I dont need a bunch of bells and whistles.
    So what do you think might fit this bill?? Thank you so much for your help... we feel lost here figuring this out on our own!

+1
    The FX HO (MR-1) is extreamly reliable 3 seater and a very stable ski. Even a VX with the MR-1 could work.

Love my 2006 FX HO with the MR-1. Might need to get a regular FX or VX with the MR-1 to stay under $4k. I paid about $5k for mine, with low hours. Well worth it.

I bought mine mainly for slalom skiing and it's been great. I've also towed a tube quite a few times and it's a blast.

4. +1 by:

Thanks for the input. I did a lot of research and i think I will be looking for a 2014 VX Deluxe or Cruiser. That is when the started having the RiDE feature I like!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Note: 2015 was the first year for the modern VXR/VXS hull design. Completely upgraded to handle substantially better overall.

That new hull is now (as of 2018, maybe already in 2017? ) used across the model gamut from VX to GP1800. Yamaha apparently put a lot of effort into getting the new-for-2015 hull right.

I ride a GP1800 and just adding an aftermarket ride plate* has really dialed it in for the rough water and boat chop riding we often do. Predictable handling, controlled turns, stable without being ‘heavy’.

* Worx ride plate with Jim’s cut modification.

The Riva intake grate may be next, to further improve the package.
    Last edited by K447; 09-21-2018 at 08:17 PM.

+1
    Forget ride at that budget but get the 1800cc motor 09-12 fx ho would be the most stable and realiable if you can get one in budget. Has cruise control etc just not the left hand ride lever.

8. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamahamama View Post
    I am looking for a 4 stroke 3 seater so I can double another adult ...

.... budget is around 4000$ or less..

I dont know what all these models have/dont have..or what I really need. I do know I need to be able to carry another adult... I weight 240, and I am thinking another adult maybe weighing around 200 or less.. and be STABIL! I dont like feeling like I am bout to turn over like on the others we have.

Would be nice to pull a single tube...

Definitely 4 stroke, with reverse ...
    Most 3 person PWC have a total weight limit of circa 500 pounds, plus or minus. That is people and all stowed gear, clothing, PFD, ropes, everything.

As an example, the 2017 Yamaha FX HO weight capacity is 530 pounds.

440 pounds of people weight plus some stowed gear you are getting close to the rated weight limits.

The bigger question is hull stability with that passenger weight, when moving slowly, sitting with engine off and when riding.

Also remember that both people must be able to reboard in deep water, should you manage to toss yourselves overboard. A boarding step really helps but the hull must be stable enough that the second person can clamber aboard with the first person on the seat.

We have all seen videos or watched in person as two people struggle to climb back on and have the machine roll sideways before they can get fully aboard and get moving.

PWC have gotten larger and generally more stable in recent years but there is still significant difference between models. Some hulls will be better for your purposes.

What kinds of water will you be riding in? Smooth water, significant boat chop, or larger waves?

How far might you be traveling on a ride?

+1
    i bought an 07 fx with the regular output mr-1. got it for my wife and she loves it. extremely stable. not lightning fast but its plenty fast for her. prob around 58mph. you really cant kill it.

+1
    I'd take the older fxho160 hull over any of the new nano rubbish . It's to light and get bounced all over compared the the older material hull . As for speed the mr1 is fast enough and fuel economy is perfect combo .

Thread Information