Lightbulb 2018 FX HO, RIDE System Error Code 159, Strange Reverse Bucket Behavior.. loose wire?

Hi Greenhulk community,

I have had 130 problem free epic hours on my 2018 FX HO Cruiser, never a problem whatsoever.

I recently started getting check engine light indications, which either display as 01 (OK) or 159 (RIDE system related issues).

Basically what happens is that the reverse gate remains down when the ski is shut off, it does not retract up as it should.

When the reverse gate is down, and the ski is started up, the check engine light triggers.

If I pull the lanyard out while the ski is in forward (leaving the bucket up), then on next startup there is no code.

I have lost F/R control on two occassions, both after bumpy long hard rides, where the ski was stuck in N and I could not engage either F or R.

This is easy to fix by jumping in the water, disconnecting the ball socket to the reverse gate, putting the reverse gate up (in the correction position), and then re-starting and shifting into F. Then the ski can be shut off via a lanyard pull with the gate up, and I can re-connect the ball socket to the reverse gate and then have no symptoms for some time.

Aside from these 1 or 2 random occurrences, the R/F/N shifting and performance is perfect, I do not believe this is a problem with the RIDE motor unit itself.

I believe I have a loose wire somewhere between the RIDE motor, the ECU, or the handlebar/steering system.

The only wire that runs aft of the bilge pump is extremely taught, way too tight, and this must be the wire running to the RIDE system I suspect, it's the only wire running aft of the bilge/battery section. It's a single black wire.

That wire being overly tight and my symptoms popping up after rough rides leads me to strongly suspect some kind of short or bad connection.

Can someone advise me how to access the RIDE system in the back, it's very difficult to tell where that wire runs, or how to access it.

Should I begin from the shifting controls on the handle-bar, and work aft, or start at the RIDE system and move forward?

Is there an easy/obvious location for a wiring harness for this unit, which could have come loose?

Thank you very much for any guidance!

Can anyone suggest where the RIDE system wiring runs or where the harness connections might be?

Any input appreciated, it's very hard to access rear of the bilge pump

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The thin black wire you have found in the hull rear area may be for the speedometer paddle wheel sensor in the ride plate. That paddlewheel wiring runs adjacent to the RiDE motor unit in the left rear of the hull.

On my GP1800 the RiDE wiring is a thick wire bundle connected via a large squarish white plastic connector near the left (left as oriented while standing above/behind the hull) bottom area of the electrical panel.

IIRC the cable bundle between the fuse panel and the RiDE motor runs along the left side of the hull, low down.

The GP1800 comes with a large plastic shroud covering the entire electrical panel. And another plastic decorative cover atop the engine. Both of these covers have been removed on my watercraft to allow easier access and eyeball exposure. They reside in a storage bin until it is time to sell the ski.

With the electrical panel shroud in place it might be difficult to access and inspect the wiring.
    Last edited by K447; 09-15-2018 at 05:45 AM.

+1
    Have you checked the adjustment of the cable? With the bucket in position with the power off you should be able to remove the cable from the ball on the bucket without too much resistance. If this is not the case it might need adjusting either in or out. If it is out of adjustment then the computer doesn't know that it is in the correct position and gives you this error.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by superair View Post
    Have you checked the adjustment of the cable?

With the bucket in position with the power off you should be able to remove the cable from the ball on the bucket without too much resistance. If this is not the case it might need adjusting either in or out. If it is out of adjustment then the computer doesn't know that it is in the correct position and gives you this error.
    The RiDE motor connects to the reverse bucket (and to the trim nozzle) using a short control rod, not a cable.

Agreed that the reverse bucket should not be binding against the jet pump structure when the bucket is in the up position.

The owners manual describes how to disconnect the rod end from the bucket. There is a spring loaded slide latch on the rod end where it attaches to the ball. The RiDE motor end of the rod has the same clip release so the rod can be removed entirely.

Thread Information