Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

How long can skis sit without charge sitting

I have 2 skis a vxr and a cruiser ho and where they will be kept they wont be used too often. If they sit for as long as a month does the battery need to be disconnected? Thanks guys!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is there an aftermarket bilge pump installed?

Is there an electrical AC outlet nearby you could use to connect a battery maintainer while they sit?

+1
    Theyre all stock just the syphon bilge and sadly i will not be able to charge them as they will be at a marina.

Should i disconnect the battery or will nothing drain it while theyre off?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2018vxr View Post
    Theyre all stock just the syphon bilge and sadly i will not be able to charge them as they will be at a marina.

Should i disconnect the battery or will nothing drain it while theyre off?
    I do not have specific info on the residual power draw for these machines. My own also have an aftermarket bilge pump with electronic sensor, so there is a bit more power draw than stock.

One option you may consider is adding a solar panel battery ‘charger’. These panels are mostly to maintain a full charge over time. IIRC Yamaha actually includes a solar panel in the kit of stuff that comes with some of the ‘Limited’ models.

If you want to ensure your battery is topped up, you might consider buying the special Yamaha cover and the solar panel.

There are also aftermarket solar panels of varying sizes, some specifically for marine (mostly boats). I have not used them.

Battery Tender makes these

Kind of ironic this thread would pop up now as a buddy in MD notified me today they discovered over the weekend that, it has been so cloudy up there for so long now all their stuff on solar chargers are kapoot! (Not just jet skis but, tractors and security entrance gates with scan card readers, etc.)

But, if you don’t have access to power, solar is still the way to go.

I am fortunate enough to have access to power but, even if I didn’t, I’d remove my battery(ies), bring em back to my home shop and hook it / them up to these, of which we keep half a dozen spread across different parts and out buildings on the property. These things rock, IMO!

The Battery Tender® Plus is a 1.25 amp battery charger designed to fully charge a battery and maintain it at proper storage voltage without the damaging effects caused by trickle chargers. Included is a quick connect ring terminal harness for hard to reach areas and alligator clips for an alternate connection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A1C8561E-AA9C-44AB-84B0-014BBCE9A327.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	439394  

6. +1 by:

I did a solar charger from bass pro it was 50.00 worked great until harvey put 2 feet of water over it

guys, it possible Battery Tender to charge Deka etx-16? Thx

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2018vxr View Post

Should i disconnect the battery or will nothing drain it while they're off?

To address this specific question ... in both cases there will be some level of drain occurring, and more so with being left connected obviously, as K447 mentioned, we haven't specifically measured the parasitic-drain milliamps while the ignition is off (sleep mode), but I can tell you it is present. Therefore, disconnected is the better choice, however even completely disconnected, lead-acid batteries have self-drain rates (internally) - which you can easily search online - or your specific batt manufacturer. That all said, the BEST option is to connect a battery tender (maintainer). If you marina doesn't offer this utility/service, you might consider adding/modifying a quick-disconnect system so you could quickly pull the battery and take it home to be put on such a tender durring these extended layups.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito View Post
    guys, it possible Battery Tender to charge Deka etx-16? Thx
    I have the Deka etx-16 in a VXR and FXHO. I use the Battery Tender Junior, .75amp. They work fine on these AGM batteries.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information