Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2018vxr View Post
    No need for antifreeze

actually the anti-freeze keeps the internals from rusting and causing problems. you should always use it, but again yamaha recommends this too.

+1
    There’s so many “winterizing” threads. Anti-freeze is not needed on Yamaha skis, as indicated by the service manual. Just change the oil, filter, plugs, fog the engine, add fuel stabilizer, blow out any residual water out of the ski, and spray the engine compartment down with something like Fluid Film.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead74 View Post
    actually the anti-freeze keeps the internals from rusting and causing problems. you should always use it, but again yamaha recommends this too.
    Yamaha does not recommend using anti freeze, per the service manual, and fogging oil is helping to protect internals.

+1
    Dont do to much winterizing here , make sure all water blown out, fill tank also its my spare fuel for my generator during hurricane season , we ride in december sometimes its 80 degrees never know. I always keep it filled for spare fuel storage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Yamaha does not recommend using anti freeze, per the service manual, and fogging oil is helping to protect internals.
    really, because i contacted yamaha and spoke with their service techs. yes they do recommend it along with most mechanics who winterize jetskis recommend it. taking the extra steps to protect your engine will show better reliability in the long run. the guys who take short cuts to save alittle money on winterizing their ski can cost them down the road. Again to each their own, if you don't want to run anti-freeze through your ski then don't worry about it. I just go the extra mile to protect my ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrothead74 View Post
    really, because i contacted yamaha and spoke with their service techs. yes they do recommend it along with most mechanics who winterize jetskis recommend it. taking the extra steps to protect your engine will show better reliability in the long run. the guys who take short cuts to save alittle money on winterizing their ski can cost them down the road. Again to each their own, if you don't want to run anti-freeze through your ski then don't worry about it. I just go the extra mile to protect my ski.
    Yamaha's cooling system is open loop (opposed to SeaDoo which is closed loop for example), and therefore doesn't require anti-freeze like other brands. If you have a copy of the service manual for your ski, can you please post a picture of the page where it says that anti-freeze is required? Surely if the Yamaha technician you contacted indicated that is the case then it would be in the service manual, no?

+1
    Mikefzr is right antifreeze is close loop no need in a yamaha

8. +1 by:

I have personally seen things crack here in NY from people claiming its a self draining engine and no need. Why risk an 8000 dollar engine for 5 bucks of RV anitfreeze and 20 dollar pump....Just my thoughts. Also guys if there’s water in the water box guess what happens to those exhaust valves that are open on which ever stroke they stopped at. I run anti freeze and fog the cylinders and add a touch of oil through my free flow so there's a layer of oil on top of the settled water sitting in the bottom of the waterbox it Help prevents if from vaporing back through the exhaust through the open exhaust valves. What these engines cost i take any precaution I can. Talking about an extra 20 minutes worth of work and 12 bucks a year for supplies!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Yamaha's cooling system is open loop (opposed to SeaDoo which is closed loop for example), and therefore doesn't require anti-freeze like other brands. If you have a copy of the service manual for your ski, can you please post a picture of the page where it says that anti-freeze is required? Surely if the Yamaha technician you contacted indicated that is the case then it would be in the service manual, no?
    I never said it was in the manual, I told you a yamaha tech told me that its better to use it regardless of open loop cooling you can still get vaping in the exhaust and that can cause cracking and problems through the exhaust if it backs up into the exhaust valves in very cold weather or warm weather. Just because its not in the manual doesn't mean you don't do it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2018vxr View Post
    Mikefzr is right antifreeze is close loop no need in a yamaha
    Actually scittb is correct. read his post and you will understand what vapor does to your exhaust valves.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information