Thread: P 1517 code

+1

P 1517 code

My wife's 2004 GTX Limited just threw a p 1517 code. I understand it's just a matter of a dealer clearing it but should it make the ski run bad?

+1
    Anyone?

I think you are a bit confused about fault codes. You never have to "take the ski to a dealer to have the faults cleared". You only take it to the dealer, to fix the underlying problem that is making the ECU throw the fault. P1517 is Compass Out of Range. Does this ski have Compass? If it does, then something is wrong with the compass unit. If it doesn't have compass, then the problem is in the MPEM, a nasty little gremlin in the 2004 models where the MPEM randomly changes the equipment settings, like turning off the VTS on RXPs or turning on compass on RXPs (RXPs never had compass) therefore throwing this fault.

You can either take it to the dealer to have the compass fixed or simply have them turn off the compass in the MPEM, so the fault goes away, because who really gives two shits about a compass on a jetski anyway. Or even better yet, buy a Candoopro system and do it yourself, as the dealer will probably have no clue on what I am talking about, lol.

And to answer your other question, no, of course not, a compass fault will not cause the ski to run bad. Change the plugs, that is #1 cause of a poor running 4TEC.

+1
    [QUOTE=Sea Dood;2979247]I think you are a bit confused about fault codes. You never have to "take the ski to a dealer to have the faults cleared". You only take it to the dealer, to fix the underlying problem that is making the ECU throw the fault. P1517 is Compass Out of Range. Does this ski have Compass? If it does, then something is wrong with the compass unit. If it doesn't have compass, then the problem is in the MPEM, a nasty little gremlin in the 2004 models where the MPEM randomly changes the equipment settings, like turning off the VTS on RXPs or turning on compass on RXPs (RXPs never had compass) therefore throwing this fault.

You can either take it to the dealer to have the compass fixed or simply have them turn off the compass in the MPEM, so the fault goes away, because who really gives two shits about a compass on a jetski anyway. Or even better yet, buy a Candoopro system and do it yourself, as the dealer will probably have no clue on what I am talking about, lol.

And to answer your other question, no, of course not, a compass fault will not cause the ski to run bad. Change the plugs, that is #1 cause of a poor running

I understand the fault code stuff but just wondered if the ski suddenly running like crap was a coincidence as the fault code came on at the same time.

Thread Information