Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yes ouch indeed; that something probably being the end of that melted off spark plug I posted above. So MWHC, what would you do next? Go ahead and pull the engine out or pull the head off with engine still in ski? Is there an outfit (other than the place in FL) where you can exchange out for a rebuilt one? IOW is there an EASY button out there somewhere?
    Thaanks in advance,
    Cran

+1
    Bummer! Sorry to hear that Cran!

You're not going to fix that while it's in the boat, and it won't be cheap. I'd suggest spending a few weeks for one that's been wrecked but has a good engine. With the hurricane on the east coast, there's a chance you might find one that has been banged up, but be sure that it hasn't been submerged.

So Steve are you saying it might be cheaper to buy a wrecked ski for the engine vs buying the parts and rebuilding it myself? What kinda dinero are we talking about here anyway (provided the block is ok/rod not sticking out of it)?

Also, what would cause this anyway. Other 3 cylinders are fine, why the one torched like that?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Befire you get causght up in any what if's
    Just pull the head off and see whats up, might not be too ugly

I think I will sirbreaksalot. I found somebody wanting to part with a 2014 Ultra Lx pretty cheap. I realize it's the NA version, but the block is same size apparently (1498cc). Can you use those pistons cylinders etc on my 300 Ultra LX? How about the valves and head. Hell while I'm asking, could you just drop that engine in there and bolt the SC to the side and away you go?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Basically nothing is the same between the lx and 300 engines...other than the engine size and the fact its a kawi

Ouch! You left out that it's also a Jetski, just sayin......... My wife just bought me an engine stand for my birfday so I guess I'll be pulling the whole enchilada out now so I can use the stand. It cant be that hard to rebuild the thing once it's out of there/easily accesible. Just hope the block is ok, pretty sure you can't rebuild an engine with a rod sticking out of the case.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranofwaterfell View Post
    Just hope the block is ok, pretty sure you can't rebuild an engine with a rod sticking out of the case.
    I wouldn't worry about the crankcase, I'd be concerned about scoring of the cylinder. You might see if you can see the cylinder wall with your scope. As mentioned, leave the head on to pull the engine.

Ok now in process of pulling motor. Anybody have any hints about how to get exhaust manifold off? I have all six bolts loose plus the two hex nuts at each end. Sucka won't budge, looks like some corrosion where cast iron exhaust manifold meets aluminum head. Been banging gently with rubber hammer, took camshaft position sensor out of the way so I could tap on a long screwdriver where ex manifold meets head........nothing. Don't see where manual says you HAVE to pull it off, but the pictures of the motor coming out of hull looks like it's gone (not to mention how much easier it will be to remove SC with it out of the way).

Yeah I got that one, very hard to get to. There are 6 bolts and the 2 hex nuts holding it on right?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information