Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Stiff steering, steering arm became too tight, binding against steering column bottom

Well my day of testing and tuning didnít go as planned. It sucks when you finally get a new top speed and the steering gets stiff AF.

I think Iíve got it fixed, but Iím going to need a new gauge bezel if anyone has a extra.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85BE482C-DA10-4A80-91B2-E5FF1219856A.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	439263  
    Last edited by K447; 09-08-2018 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Thread title

+1
    What happened there.

+1
    While out doing a few runs for top speed and recording the RPM the steering kept getting tighter and tighter. It’s a 2015 VXR with 22 hrs on it.

It got to the point that the steering was so tight that I was muscling it to turn.

I loaded it up and brought it back. I disconnected the steering cable thinking it was the cable, but it wasn’t.

It turns out it was the steering shaft and it was binding. After busting a tab on the gauge bezel while getting it all apart.

It was just that the steering arm was pressed against the shaft housing causing some binding. After a small adjustment of the steering it’s totally free. You’ve just got to take a lot of stuff apart to do it.
    Last edited by birel33; 09-08-2018 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Because someone decided they wanted to edit my post

+1

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by birel33 View Post
    ... the steering kept getting tighter and tighter. Itís a 2015 VXR with 22 hrs on it. It got to the point that the steering was so tight that I was muscling it to turn.

... it was the steering shaft and it was binding. ... the steering arm was totally against the plastic causing some binding.

After a small adjustment of the steering itís totally free. Youíve just got to take a lot of stuff apart to do it. ...
    What plastic was the steering shaft or arm binding against?

I am guessing the same steering hardware is used in a lot of current Yamaha models. Would be good to understand exactly what was causing the binding.

+1
    The arm that connects to the steering cable somehow was pushed tight to the shaft. It was binding. All I had to do was take everything apart, loosen the bolt on the steering arm, and barely move the arm down, this freed my steering.

+1
    The arm that connects to the steering cable somehow was pushed tight to the shaft. It was binding.

All I had to do was take everything apart, loosen the bolt on the steering arm, and barely move the arm down ...
    Could you not access the steering arm and bolt from the front storage compartment after removing the rear cover panel?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Could you not access the steering arm and bolt from the front storage compartment after removing the rear cover panel?
    If I had known what the issue was I could have just bent the retaining tabs back, loosened the bolt, move the arm while the steering was in place. It would have been a pain to reach it in the hull but it would have been possible.

I was unsure of the issue when I started so I decided to remove completely the steering to find the issue.

My point of posting this is if your steering gets tight you might check that before removing everything.
    Last edited by K447; 09-08-2018 at 09:16 AM.

9. +1 by:

+1
    If I had known what the issue was I could have just bent the retaining tabs back, loosened the bolt, move the arm while the steering was in place.

It would have been a pain to reach it in the hull but it would have been possible.

I was unsure of the issue when I started so I decided to remove completely the steering to find the issue.

My point of posting this is if your steering gets tight you might check that before removing everything.
    Thank you for posting the diagnosis and the fix.

+1
    Last edited by birel33; 09-10-2018 at 05:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information