2001 Genesis I rebuild / interchange question?

Hey guys,

Just picked up a 2001 Genesis I with a blown motor... (Needs complete bottom end and one jug/head) Looking for parts on e-bay, but not sure yet what all fits mine.

What are the differences between years, and differences between the Ficht and the carbed versions? Thanks in advance!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    IIRC all the red 1200 engine cylinders are the same part number, 1999 through 2004.

You can cross check part numbers using the Polaris Industries online parts diagrams. Link can be found via my signature.

The carb 1200 red engines have pulse ports on the side of the crankcase to power the carb fuel pumps. For a Ficht engine you can just cap those off. While the Ficht engines did not need the pulse ports, some Ficht engines came from the factory with the ports installed, but capped.

Later edition 1200 cranks (MSX 140) come with a locating ring around one of the crank main bearings. Older 1200 cranks did not have the retaining ring. There will be a matching groove in the crankcase for 1200 engines that were expected to have the crank with locating ring.

You can mix and match these cases and cranks, but if there is a ring on the crank bearing but no groove in the case then the ring needs to be removed.

Some 1200 engines were built without a retaining ring in front of the forward most crank bearing. I prefer to have that retaining ring present, and all 1200 crank cases should have the groove for it.

See my signature link for more tips. You can use the dual rear crank seal config on all red engine cranks. Upgrade option is using a Polaris snowmobile seal. The snowmobile part is teflon coated.

Tip: The Polaris OEM crank seals are top quality, better than aftermarket.

Cylinder heads for Genesis Ficht vary by model year and cylinder position. Polaris was fighting with a PTO cylinder burn down problem, but only on some engines. Eventually (circa 2003?) they upgraded the exhaust manifold to better direct exhaust flow away from the PTO cylinder.

Wow, thanks! So, then this engine should bolt up in my '01, but may need to change the heads?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Polari...6/401569269073

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFixitND View Post
    ... this engine should bolt up in my '01, but may need to change the heads?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Polaris-Genesis-1200-Jet-Ski-Engine-Motor-76/401569269073
    That eBay engine is an unknown in terms of condition or remaining life. It might be fine and run for several years, or maybe it will last just a few hours or fail within minutes.

A fully rebuilt engine does cost more up front, but at least you know it is a fresh engine. With a warranty.

https://www.shopsbt.com/jetski/polar...-140-2003.html

For reference, Polaris issued a service bulletin and updated cylinder head specifically (and only) for the 1999 Genesis FFI (Ficht fuel injected). That cylinder head was clearly marked PTO, as can be seen in the photo.

The ‘PTO’ inscribed replacement FFI cylinder head has reduced compression, which was an early attempt to reduce PTO cylinder burn down occurrences. There was also a floppy disc (yes, a floppy) that reprogrammed the 1999 EMM to match the revised cylinder head.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52DE47FE-7BFE-40BA-A8E2-0A5BCFAEE2E0.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	439336  

Thread Information