Like a chimp with a ball-peen hammer smackwave's Avatar
    +1

Honda R12X water leak

While drying the Honda out from a couple of the kids' friends sinking it on Labor Day I noticed water dripping from the exhaust (right) side of the engine. I've taken the side panels off and I can feel warm water trickling out, but can't feel or see exactly where it's coming from. There's a hose connection and what feels like a freeze plug in the general area, but it looks like it'll be a bit of a pain to get to either of those. Are there any common leak spots in that area?

BTW, much to my relief after draining/shop vacuuming water out of the intake, engine, and intercooler, then running four gallons of oil through the engine everything else appears to be okay. The ski's also the cleanest it's been in ten years.

Edit: after the coffee finally kicked in today I realized it's the exhaust side that's leaking, and I probably need a new exhaust manifold. I'm going to try removing it without pulling the engine and inspect for damage.
    Last edited by smackwave; 09-06-2018 at 03:23 PM. Reason: I'm a dummy, that's obviously the exhaust manifold.

+1
    Well, I think I found the problem. Looks like a nice size hole in the outer jacket of the manifold. New one ordered, but they’re “on hold” from Honda.

On a side note, never mention to your wife the project engineer that you have an endoscope when she’s doing an inspection the next day.

+1
    I can't upload the fun video from the endoscope, so here's a still grab. You can see part of the hole in the manifold in upper right, and a crack that leads from there to stream of water. When these things go they really go.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	439376  

I build Horsepower
    +1
    As part of the maintenance procedure is to inspect the exhaust anode would and replace as necessary —the turbo charged models have one in the turbo housing and also one in the exhaust housing right where your photo is taken.

Question did you ever maintain this ?

+1
    Yep. The turbo anode is checked every year, and replaced a few years ago at 150 hours. The same time I replaced it I figured it was about time to check and clean the manifold anode too. It looked fine for what the manual called a 400 hour part, but I wasn't aware deteriorating exhaust manifolds were something I needed to be more concerned about until a week ago.

Thread Information