Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1999 stx 1100 help

Hello, new to forum and hoping to get some feedback on stx 1100. Cv carbs i think? Skis has 250 hours and i know no history except being told impeller was replaced last year. I have run the ski very hard for 60 hours without issue until today.

Heard some light rattling /grinding and thought it was bottles in compartment. Stopped, rested moved things around. When i started back up, more rattling/grinding, then it got really bad for about 10 seconds. Started heading for dock and something broke loose, noise went away and ski ran much smoother than before the issue started.

Now im only hitting about 6100 rpm and can still hear rattling/grinding if i hit a wave. Before i hit around 6800-6900 rpm. I started it back up two days later and it started up just like always so im hoping this is a driveline impeller issue.

Im pulling it out tomorrow to start digging in but thought the forum may have some feedback/tips on where to start and what i may need as far as special equipment. I have no manuals for ski. Thank you for any thoughts or feedback.

+1
    Welcome aboard, Illiana!

Could be the pump bearings, but also pull the seat off and inspect the rubber insert in the driveshaft coupling. Also, look at the engine mount condition.

Something else to consider doing is inspecting/upgrading the oil lines, as well as replacing the bearings on the oil pump drive.

Thanks you Steve. Started right up today, got it out onto to trailer and cleaned up. I will be digging in this weekend as it was dark before i could put a tool to it. I will report back, or more likely, ask more questions.

Any ideas for a bit more top end speed? Just a little would keep my son from completely pulling away from me on his aquatraxx turbo.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiana View Post
    Any ideas for a bit more top end speed? Just a little would keep my son from completely pulling away from me on his aquatraxx turbo.
    Not really. The 1100 ZXi was the fastest of the 1100s. A different impeller may help a little, but not much.

If you want to stay with the STX style of hull, the newer STX-15F if hard to beat. If you want to teach him a lesson, guess you'll have to look into the 310s.

Steve45, I read somewhere that you could add a STXR ride plate to gain a few MPH? Is that true?

+1
    The stxr ride plate won't fit the 99 hull. It looks like it will fit the di hull, but you'll loose reverse.

Thanks Rodsatheart. Yes I was asking for my 2000 DI. I'd rather have my reverse than the gain if any.

Yes you will gain a few miles per hr since the plates longer and will get the hull out of the water.

You can purchase an r&d ride plate with the reverse bracket

Thanks turboman412. I'll look into it.

+1
    Might want to hurry. I've hear R&D is closing it's doors.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information