Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blown head gasket???

2011 Yamaha VXR. Salt water ski. Took it out and was running fine and got a overheat warning and went in to limp mode. I limped back to shore and put it back on the trailer. It was full of water. One of the water inlet ports the tube was off because the clamp had corroded. It was the bottom most hose on the right side (if youíre standing behind the ski). Got the hose back on and took it back out in the after. Ran fine at first but a little less power. My buddy ran it for awhile with two other people on back and it had a lot of trouble getting out of the whole but would go about 50 once it planes out. I opened the ski up and it had a lot of water in it but this time the water was very milky. Checked oil and it was milky as well.

ive flushed the engine 4 times and itís still milky. I donít want to get this thing cleaned out and then this happen again. Any way to confirm for sure it is a blown head gasket? Something else? Reputable source told me head gasket. If so, I donít want to put this thing back on water. However, Iíd like to know for sure before I bring it to the shop and they tear it down and itís not the head gasket.

+1
    You might have a cracked head...

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by RIVERA RACING View Post
    Any way to find out if one or the other without tearing the engine down?

Quote Originally Posted by RIVERA RACING View Post
    Any way to find out if one or the other without tearing the engine down?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OneJESUSGod View Post
    2011 Yamaha VXR. Salt water ski. Took it out and was running fine and got a overheat warning and went in to limp mode. I limped back to shore and put it back on the trailer. It was full of water. One of the water inlet ports the tube was off because the clamp had corroded. It was the bottom most hose on the right side (if youíre standing behind the ski). Got the hose back on and took it back out in the after. Ran fine at first but a little less power. My buddy ran it for awhile with two other people on back and it had a lot of trouble getting out of the whole but would go about 50 once it planes out. I opened the ski up and it had a lot of water in it but this time the water was very milky. Checked oil and it was milky as well.

ive flushed the engine 4 times and itís still milky. I donít want to get this thing cleaned out and then this happen again. Any way to confirm for sure it is a blown head gasket? Something else? Reputable source told me head gasket. If so, I donít want to put this thing back on water. However, Iíd like to know for sure before I bring it to the shop and they tear it down and itís not the head gasket.
    Could be either gasket or head you could also have a leaking oil cooler which could pass the water into the oil.

But only way to find out is take it off. Replace the gasket send the head away to be checked properly and then take it from there. Ypu aint gonna find a quick way around the problem

When the head went on mine. It took about 8/9 oil changes to get it completely clean and that included stripping the oil cooler down and cleaning it out

+1
    Leak down test.

+1
    the way we tested the head on the svho engine is to take off valve cover, clamp off all the water lines going in and out of the engine and exhaust, then pressurized the head through the thermostat.

9. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by speeder View Post
    the way we tested the head on the svho engine is to take off valve cover, clamp off all the water lines going in and out of the engine and exhaust, then pressurized the head through the thermostat.
    That way won't work you unless you block the exhaust as well
    Last edited by ctct2118; 10-01-2018 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctct2118 View Post
    That way won't work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160210_141708.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	440122  

do this too

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information