2002 Seadoo gtx 4-tec. overheat due to loss of coolant

Greetings all.

Had an issue with my GTX this weekend. The hose clamp that hold the coolant line into the engine broke while riding and drained all the coolant into the hull. The warning sound came on but I was out in open water with my son. I didn't know what the issue was so i tried to dash back into shore but didn't make it. Towards the end it lost thrust. I immediately turned it off and we waited for another boat to pass by and tow us in. Back on shore, it still starts. I fixed the clamp and refilled the coolant. Have not taken it back out yet. Wondering if the loss of thrust meant its dead. Hoping someone had the same issue and can give me some insight.

We have babied these skis for the last 15 years, hoping this isn't the end of one of them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rparikian View Post
    Greetings all.

Had an issue with my GTX this weekend. The hose clamp that hold the coolant line into the engine broke while riding and drained all the coolant into the hull. The warning sound came on but I was out in open water with my son. I didn't know what the issue was so i tried to dash back into shore but didn't make it. Towards the end it lost thrust. I immediately turned it off and we waited for another boat to pass by and tow us in. Back on shore, it still starts. I fixed the clamp and refilled the coolant. Have not taken it back out yet. Wondering if the loss of thrust meant its dead. Hoping someone had the same issue and can give me some insight.

We have babied these skis for the last 15 years, hoping this isn't the end of one of them.

It probably just went into limp mode, to try to protect the engine

Hope that was the case. Wont know until i drop it back in the water int he next week or so.

Thank you.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you can start it from dead cold and run it for 30 seconds without putting much hurt on it to check if a garden hose isn't available. you'll know pretty quick if there was serious problems ( smokey exhaust, clanging etc)

All good next time out. Was in limp mode. Great design. Thanks for all the comments.

Thread Information