Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2019 Yamaha vs Kawasaki vs SeaDoo

I'm going to be purchasing a pair of 2019 model year skis as soon as they're all released. I will be buying one supercharged with plans for Stage 1 mods (80+mph) and one non-supercharged HO for the girlfriend and friends to ride. I'm an ex motocross racer and roadrace track bike guy and currently own a 130mph offshore catamaran and 5 second/170mph drag hydro, so I'm no stranger to performance. I live on the water in Discovery Bay, CA, with miles of Delta waterways to run on. Most of the Delta is very smooth with occasional wakesurf/wakeboard boat and cruiser wakes, but I sometimes run into 2'-3' nasty wind chop. I'm looking for skis best suited for long distance running, that that also handle very well. I've heard from several friends that you can't beat the Yamahas for reliability and bang for the buck. Of the Yamahas, I'm thinking it would come down to the new '19 FX HO/FX SVHO vs the VXR/GP1800R combo. In the Kawasaki line, the Ultra LX/Ultra 310R look like the only logical choice for what I'm after, and in the SeaDoo line, it looks like the RXT 230/RXT-X 300 would be the combo I'm looking for. Any opinions from guys that have knowledge of these skis? Obviously, the '19 FXs are brand new, but surely they will be typical of current Yamaha skis. The SeaDoo looks to have a really cool seat/seat position, more similar to a roadrace motorcycle than the typical tall Barcalounger seating setup of the Yamahas and Kawasakis. My buddy has a '17 GTR-X 230 that I've ridden, and I really like the feel of it vs the older SeaDoos and Yamahas I've ridden (never ridden a Kawasaki, other than the standups and X2s I had when I was younger). Anyway, I know my first post on here is a long one, but I'd really appreciate hearing some opinions before I go drop $30k on a pair of new skis.
    Thanks, Dale.....

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Might as well drop the Kawi's if you want a reliable 80+ mph ski...

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Might as well drop the Kawi's if you want a reliable 80+ mph ski...
    Thanks for bringing up reliability - that is super important to me, as the skis stay down on ports at my dock. Pulling them out to fix them is a pita. Again, this is where I've heard really good things about the Yamahas - they can easily and reliably be 80mph+ skis.

+1
    Sounds like you need a GP1800 and a VXR. ...air intake...exhaust for sound ... Jim's Cut Stock Plate... and a Tune ... you'll be 80+ on the GP

The most interesting man in the world. Nils888's Avatar
    +1
    Before you get hammered by all the brand loyal crazy people here. You should go test ride all the PWC's you are considering. IMO If you like riding in rough water. Kawasaki is still the king. Yamaha has the best engine package and they are fun for smooth water. But sitting on one is like riding on top a Fat pig. Seadoo has always put alot of effort into rider comfort. But they love the 3 cylinder engine. If you like the Bike feel. Seadoo is closer to that than the others.

6. +1 by:

+1
    I like the Seadoo, both the 230 and 300 are supercharged. They both have the ST3 hull that is supposed to be very good in snotty water. A stage 1 kit will get you in the mid 70's +- and still have a reliable ski with any of the 3 brands. ( may void your warranty though). I haven't rode the Kawi but you should check out the technology of the Yamaha "Ride system" and The Seadoo " IBR system", Kawi doesn't offer this yet. Yamaha FX nas high seating with a high center of gravity and we find the ride somewhat wetter than the Doo's. Another feature that I miss with the Seadoo is the 3 modes, economy, touring and sport. With the Yamaha you are always in sport mode, very rapid throttle response. If long distance touring is your thing, and you go with SC skis, bring extra gas or know where the gas is available where you cruise ( the seadoo can run on less than 91 octane in a pinch but a little less performance). Plenty of info on these boards also check out the various reviews on the net...

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's much appreciated. I'm really leaning towards the 2019 RXTs, and hopefully they have larger fuel tanks in them. Now I just have to wait for the official release of the 2019 SeaDoo line......

+1
    The Ultra hull is by far the best when it gets rough, and can reliably be gotten to 73-75 with a strong holeshot. However, if you're wanting 80+, the Ultra isn't what you're after. I'd say an FX combo would suit you better. Good rough water hulls and the SVHO can hit 80 pretty easily.

I'd say Kawasaki for the reliability and top speed.. otherwise my boy friend he likes his Yamaha because he says it's easier to do the regular maintenance.. I am not sure about that though

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kim.dawson View Post
    I'd say Kawasaki for the reliability and top speed.. otherwise my boy friend he likes his Yamaha because he says it's easier to do the regular maintenance.. I am not sure about that though
    Ummmm....NO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information