Free flow mod needed to do Jetworks?

I recently purchased a hole shot kit from Jetworks for my 2000 XLL 1200. The video they sent me a link to shows that you need to do the free flow exhaust mod before the Jetworks mod due to heat related issues. Is this true? I havenít seen this mentioned before now.

Added the JW Kit 2 seasons ago. No FF. Just blip the throttle thru the no wake zones every so often to open the valve and let water into the exhaust.

+1
    I went free flow when I first did the JW mod and hated it. Loud, obnoxious in low cruising range, and robs rpm off the top end.
    Went back to stock exhaust and added a 3-way valve to make a bypass of the JW valve for long no-wake areas (easy to do, all you need is some more hose, 3-way valve, and a Y-fitting). Works great, pm if you want some pics.

The stock sound suppression box can melt from heat if there is no cooling for an extended period, I melted mine 3wks ago - was NOT a JW valve failure. My hose came off the 90 fitting at the pump (still don't know how...) - hence, there was no water coming in from the pump to cool the exhaust. My lesson learned was to check your hoses and fittings from time to time, mine was on for almost 3yrs and I never looked at it.

Anywho - stock setup works fine, do throttle blip or plumb a bypass.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg426690 View Post
    I went free flow when I first did the JW mod and hated it. Loud, obnoxious in low cruising range, and robs rpm off the top end.
    Went back to stock exhaust and added a 3-way valve to make a bypass of the JW valve for long no-wake areas (easy to do, all you need is some more hose, 3-way valve, and a Y-fitting). Works great, pm if you want some pics.

The stock sound suppression box can melt from heat if there is no cooling for an extended period, I melted mine 3wks ago - was NOT a JW valve failure. My hose came off the 90 fitting at the pump (still don't know how...) - hence, there was no water coming in from the pump to cool the exhaust. My lesson learned was to check your hoses and fittings from time to time, mine was on for almost 3yrs and I never looked at it.

Anywho - stock setup works fine, do throttle blip or plumb a bypass.
    Thanks for the responses! Iím glad to hear I donít have to go free flow and there are ways to still make it work. Yes, Iíd like to see how to do the 3-way valve bypass. As long as Iíve got my ski torn apart for an engine rebuild, I figured I would get this done too.

Thread Information