Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NEW to the site-GP1800 break in

I know this is an extremely tired topic, but I have read so many different break in procedures for new skis. The reason I am posting this subject is because I haven't found a recent (201 break in procedure online.

I bought (2) 2018 VX deluxe's, 1 had 5 hours and 1 had -0- hours. The one with 5 hours was a demo and I have no clue how it was broken in (probably WOT). When I broke in the second (-0- hours) I followed the Yamaha break in procedure. The VX Deluxe with -0- is about 5 mph faster top speed (Garmin 78SC) than the other, same lake, same day.

I recently bought a brand new GP1800 with -0- hours, and want to break it in right for the long haul. I have read the article from MototuneUSA.com http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm but wanted to get some updated opinions or be directed to a thread. Thanks for the help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MLC_1006 View Post
    I know this is an extremely tired topic, but I have read so many different break in procedures for new skis. The reason I am posting this subject is because I haven't found a recent (201 break in procedure online.

I bought (2) 2018 VX deluxe's, 1 had 5 hours and 1 had -0- hours. The one with 5 hours was a demo and I have no clue how it was broken in (probably WOT). When I broke in the second (-0- hours) I followed the Yamaha break in procedure. The VX Deluxe with -0- is about 5 mph faster top speed (Garmin 78SC) than the other, same lake, same day.

I recently bought a brand new GP1800 with -0- hours, and want to break it in right for the long haul. I have read the article from MototuneUSA.com http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm but wanted to get some updated opinions or be directed to a thread. Thanks for the help.
    Looks like you answered your own question. The Yamaha break in procedure seemed to work best. That's how I did my VXR and it runs absolutely perfect (knock on wood)

That is the way i did mine

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse20098 View Post
    ...The Yamaha break in procedure seemed to work best. That's how I did my VXR and it runs absolutely perfect (knock on wood)
    Same here (same knock on wood, LOL!)
    WAVERUNNER BREAK-IN
    From p. 54 of the Owners Manual:

1) Launch the watercraft and start the engine. (See page 66 (or 72) for engine starting
    procedures.)

(2) For the first 5 minutes, run the engine at 2,000 rpm (trolling speed) only.

For the first 30 minutes of operation after that, keep the engine speed below 5000 r/min.

For the 1 hour of operation after that, keep the engine speed below 6000 r/min.

(3) Proceed with normal operation.

Everyone in our family is also real good about letting the ‘18 VXR engine warm up real well at the beginning of each day.

OP, welcome to GH and congrats on the GP1800 (I am wavering now between our second ski being a Spark TRIXX (grandkids want water wheelies and some of the parents want a ski slower than the VXR) but, my oldest can’t get enough speed , top end or outta the hole. (First world problems; what to do, what to do ....

5. +1 by:

+1
    warm up engine, i would say ten minutes getting into a speed zone,

keep under like 3 to 5k rpms after that for about a 1/2 hr. then gradually go up in rpms always varying the throttle.

after an hour you can do bursts of WOT and keep varying throttle.

Some people like to do that then let cool all the way. Then bring it back out and do a much quicker version of it again. Heat cycling.

In short. Follow yamaha instructions. Varying throttle at all times is key. Good short burst of wot when nice and warmed up is key. Make sure all is up to peak operating temp is key.

Enjoy.

Also check every clamp you can see for proper torque in engine bay after first ride. And check battery terminals connection and grounds if you can get to them.
    Last edited by K447; 08-30-2018 at 10:45 AM.

+1
    Probably a well-shared opinion . . . 4-strokes are so precisely engineered, a ‘break-in’ is almost moot. Bearings, journals, cam lobes, etc. . . tolerances don’t produce an initially “tight” engine that needs an amount of controlled wear in order to loosen it up to normal specification. Thus, these components are not really going to change all that much regarding their opposing mated surfaces due to 4-stroke oiling. I say “almost moot” because the piston rings and cylinder walls are likely to two components that will undergo any sorta change during that process, and the seems to be at the center of th debate between a hard -vs- soft breaking techniques.

Personally, I don’t feel a brand new 1.8L Yamaha has it’s cylinder bores THAT aggressively honed from the factory (at least not like they do to Formula-1 engines) to promote enough ring wear to make any real difference in successful ring seating, thus if one went with a hard early WOT break-in, I see no real gains in achieving any better compression than Yamaha’s prescribed gradual method. You simply can’t go wrong with the Yamaha break-in procedure.

For modern day 4-strokes, gradual/soft break-in is tried tested and proven, and to point that some manufacturer’s (aka Seadoo) even go as far as to program the ECU to enforce this method in the first several hours of operation.

8. +1 by:

5 mph diffrence between 2 identical skis is huge. they must be turning several 100 rpms different if its an engine problem. if not, then its a hull/plate/prop/pump problem.

+1
    I ran my GP pretty easy with no WOT for the first hour. Then a few spurts here and there. By 2 hours i ran it however i wanted. Not saying its a good method.
    When i bought the EX the dealer told me not to do WOT for 10 hours.. yes, they said 10. needless to say, i didnt follow that. 10 hours is basically 3 trips out.

+1
    So according to the OP, the "demo" is the slower of the two ??
    Begs the question if the dealer limited their demos in any way.

Perhaps trade pumps - nozzles, impellers & housings. See if it's still the slower ski before assuming this anomally has anything to do with break-in technique.

Thank you so much for the info. The last skis I broke in (before my recent purchases) were a 97'SPX and 98" XP Limited, so hopefully you can understand my anxiety when it comes to breaking in a 4 stroke, especially with a supercharger. Not to mention, there are 4.5 million threads on how to break in a new ski. Once again, thanks a lot for the info I am going to break it in according to the Yamaha owners manual. My apologies if I upset anyone with this post from a newbie, my intention was to do the right thing for my new ski.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information