Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Review of my Riva Stage 2 and what I got..........

Greetings all..... As a lot of "old school" guys that still visit this place.... most know that in 2003 Riva sent me a Tim Judge built Stage 2 GP1300R. Over the years it serviced me VERY reliably and with a few tweaks/tips here and there.... 75-77mph all day long (depending on fuel load/temps and air quality) was what this machine delivered for almost 200 hours. The only thing I replaced on that GP1300R was the battery twice and few sets of spark plugs in 15 years of service. Pretty bullet proof in my opinion!!

As with anything though.... I sold that GP1300R this spring thinking I really wouldn't miss it... BOY WAS I WRONG!! So many times I went to grab the lanyard after I was done mowing the yard or on a hot day this summer......and only to quickly remind myself I no longer had my trusty GP1300 to rip the lake apart I live on. (Dang it all!!!!!!)

So.... I placed 4 calls to 4 different people I knew in the "Yamaha performance world" to put together a Stage 2 GP1800. All the phone calls/promises to call me back/help me with my build/promises to build me the "best one"/emails and such were placed over a 4 week period. And one thing was for CERTIAN.... Riva was the company that came through no question. It wasn't about what the others couldn't do or promised to do.... it came down to what Riva FOLLOWED THROUGH with from start to finish/estimates/negotiating/price and thoroughness from all their staff. I picked Riva for the build.

Once I discovered the shipping price from Riva to Indiana..... I decided to drive to Riva at Pompano Beach to pick up the unit myself and take the family on a short vacation (shipping price to Indiana covered my fuel down and back and hotel stay for 4 days.... so the family was up for the trip and some fun). Upon arrival I found the staff in person to be just as good to me in person as they were on the phone. Marco and Terry......if you are reading this... you did a GREAT job. Mark and Jesus took care of the performance build and testing....and were a wealth of information when I picked it up. Kudos to those two guys also on a very clean build!! I was even given a link to a video of the ski during a performance run in the 90 degree muggy heat with MPH being recorded. Pretty nice little addition to take home. Had a conversation with Dave Bamdis also before leaving to express my thanks. He just smiled as we chatted and said at the end "be careful when you run that thing". :0)

Once home in Indiana..... I waited to the 5 hour mark to let her rip on a cool 70 degree evening with a 1/3 tank of fuel with my hand held GPS reading of 86.7 MPH (220 pound "me" in the seat). Gotta think there is an 87-88 mph run with less fuel and a "Jim's Plate" underneath for sure. I will also say this... You feel safer going 85+ on this thing than you did at 70-75mph on the GP1300R. Something you need to feel for yourself I guess.

The thing is a friggin' monster... The guy/"self proclaimed King of the Lake" with the yellow jet boat with the 502 in the back runnin' 80mph is trying to figure out how to get the knot out of his tail after this last Saturday. :0)

Just wanted to leave some real life feedback to those thinking of purchasing a built GP1800 from someone that has been around these GP's since early 2000 when the first GPR's were released.

Thanks for all this Forum provides......and thanks to all the "old school guys" still runnin' fast..... grey hair and balding still runs wild with an SVHO under your seat.... :0)

And thank you Riva...

Tim.... Drink My Dust....

+1
    Good write up...totally agree. The GP1800 is the new GPR, only better !

Glad your back! Long time no posts!

Thanks for the post - I congratulate you on having a Stage 2.
    Today I briefly considered getting the 2018 GP1800R (there is still one new one available) but they are for sale from RIVA for $25,995 before freight! Right now (Aug. 27) there are just a few stock 2018 GP1800's with SuperCharger left at the dealerships. and I found one on clearance for $11,995. Dealer ADM charges (freight and setup) are $2,000 more though! Seems I can do at least a Stage1 Plus and get the thing to go 82mph for just under $2,000. The Stage1 Plus seems to be something I can buy from Riva and install myself, BUT the Stage 2 like you are describing is much more complicated and should be done by RIVA? Or can the Stage 2 be purchased and installed by someone near me that has advanced mechanical skills?
    Last edited by KevinSoCal; 08-27-2018 at 07:42 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinSoCal View Post
    Today I briefly considered getting the 2018 GP1800R (there is still one new one available) but they are for sale from RIVA for $25,995 before freight! Right now (Aug. 27) there are just a few stock 2018 GP1800's with SuperCharger left at the dealerships. and I found one on clearance for $11,995. Dealer ADM charges (freight and setup) are $2,000 more though! Seems I can do at least a Stage1 Plus and get the thing to go 82mph for just under $2,000. The Stage1 Plus seems to be something I can buy from Riva and install myself, BUT the Stage 2 like you are describing is much more complicated and should be done by RIVA? Or can the Stage 2 be purchased and installed by someone near me that has advanced mechanical skills?
    I almost had the Stage 2 kit done by my Yamaha dealer here in Indiana as we had called Riva about the complexity of the Stage 2 kit. We were told on the phone by Riva that the Stage 2 kit came with instructions and could be easily put together by a Yamaha dealer tech familiar with the SVHO and GP1800. It was nice to have a trip to Florida though for the family too... Wife was much more excited to hear "if I get a GP1800 Stage 2 kit..... you get a trip to Florida too".....

If you have a mechanic in your area you trust... I would have them call Riva and go over the complexity of a Stage 2 kit install so they could hear first hand what they are getting in to... then decide.

+1
    You need to find a different dealer if setup and freight come to $2000! Just bought a GP1800 @$11,999 and the total out the door (without tax due to an out of state sale) was $12,800 and they included a cover. That comes to around $600 freight and setup. Just saying, shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinSoCal View Post

Wish.
    So. Cal. seems to have a Dealer Group that sticks together on these freight and setup charges. Maybe if I pushed hard I could get some relief but there are only a few 2018 GP1800's left on showroom floors here so there is no incentive to deal. I was hoping to pick up an RXP-X this late in the season and have discovered that BRP Dealers were completely sold out by mid-June. Anyway, in Southern California it seems that dealers are holding all the cards. I will check back in January for any leftover GP1800 inventory.

I have a person 12 miles away from me that can build a Yamaha 4-stroke from the ground up - he rebuilds those engines all the time - I am going to ask him about the kit - though I don't think I want to pay $6,000 for the Stage 2 that would take me 4 extra mph over the $1,900 Stage1 Plus. If I had the money I would - BUT I am approaching 70 years old and I think my racing days are over. I loved doing WOT on the GPR100R the other day but not sure my body could do a full season of 86.4 MPH.

Great write up!!! My king of the lake is a 188 mph skater lol

+1
    Wow....DMD is back on the water....after selling the old Judge...hard to believe. I'm also running a few GP's now myself after moving back to old Indiana from Florida. Hard to believe that Sheffield is running the R&D now and TJ is no longer running the ship down there. Mark has been around quite some time so It's neat to see him step up with testing parts. If I recall you're in Northern Indiana....I'm in Anderson. I've been working on my 2 1800's and slowly getting them along. I'm pretty similar I bet in mods :

1. Map X
    2. Fizzle 1000 Cooler
    3. Solas 13/20 ( you likely run the 13/1 but I'll depitch mine likely to a 13/19
    4. Riva Ride plate
    5. Riva Intake Grate
    6. Riva Pump seals
    7 Riva Pro-series cooling
    8. Riva Rear Exhaust
    9. FX grate supports
    10. Riva cold air intake
    11. GRF Catch Can's
    12. Candoo GPS modules
    13. Front Bulk head shield removed on mine, not wife's as she likes to sub the nose.

86 mph is solid ...glad to see you're back on the Water. Hard to believe these new skis can easily run 81-81mph with simple mods after all of us for years chased 70+ and the thousands in "kits" we all spent to try to hit that.

Be safe
    M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information