Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newb ? Going from freshwater to salt water ot dah

Hey guys new to the forums if this ? Isnít allowed in here please delete.

ok so i my 07 vx cruiser has only been freshwater ridden itís whole life and this week for Labor Day Iím going down to PCB,Fl and was gonna take my ski with me will it hurt it if I ride it in saltwater for a couple of days. Iíve herd bad things about saltwater but was curious to see what I might haft to do after I ride it what steps to take maybe to flush the saltwater out. Any input or anything yíall know about skis and saltwater

thank!!

+1
    You have to flush it with freshwater after it comes out of the water immediately and the connection is under the back seat. Engine on then water on and run for 3 minutes then water off then rev till no water out the side pisser then engine off.

Ok thank you for the help much appreciated.i know you said flush it immediately when it comes out of the water but I may have a 15-20 min ride back to the condo to flush it will it still be ok or will it mess anything up in that time frame to flush it

+1
    That will be ok most people have to trailer it anyway. The sooner the better but sitting 20 minutes is really fine and honestly normal. Make sure the water is never running with the engine off you will hydrolock it. Enjoy ur ski

Ok awesome thank you for the help I really appreciate it !!

+1
    I was a saltwater boater for many years in north Florida before I moved to Houston 3 years ago.

In addition to flushing, I'd spray down the entire engine compartment with freshwater as well. Since you're trailering, you're going to need to rinse that trailer down real good as well. I hope your trailer isn't a painted steel trailer. If it is and its made of square steel tubing then saltwater can get inside the square tubing. You probably won't be able to rinse it out and then the salt will start is nasty work. Eventually the tubing will rust from the inside out. Ask me how I know!

Anyway, rinse, rinse, rinse with as much freshwater as you possibly can! Have a great time in Florida!

+1
    I run in nothing but salt water , with my last ski also and have never had a problem i just try to flush within an hour of pulling it out of saltwater and i always pour a little dawn dish liquid in the hose before i connect it to the ski and have never had an issue. have fun

All right thanks guy I really appreciate all the help!! I got one other question yíall might know the answer to since Iíll be a out of state boater my ski is registered in al and I have my al boating license the ski is up to date on registration insurance and tags would there be anything else I might need so I wonít get stopped by Florida water patrol or anything and not get a ticket

+1
    If your AL registration is up to date, you'll be fine in FL waters.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BKIMBRELWASTAKEN View Post
    ... so I wonít get stopped by Florida water patrol ...
    You may well be stopped for a chat.

Especially, but not only, if you happen to be seen going the wrong speed or some other infraction. You may not even be aware of the restriction or not see the sign.

Have your documentation with you, either photocopies or originals, sealed in some sort of (floating) waterproof container. Attach your mobile phone number to it, in case it gets dropped overboard or accidentally left behind somewhere.

If you have two remote key fobs, do not keep them both on the same ski. And certainly not on the same key ring.

Tip: Yamaha remotes are not entirely waterproof. I keep mine in a (very small) waterproof clear dry bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information