Thread: 06 STX 12f

06 STX 12f

I have a chance to pick up an 06 Kawi STX 12f pretty cheap... think it has engine problems... I am not sure how bad they are. Are these motors known to blow or are they pretty dependable? Are the difficult/expensive to rebuild?

I have mainly worked on Sea Doos and Yammies and am familiar with those skis. The Kawi is a bit of a mystery... although maybe a decent learning experience....

Thoughts?

+1
    "Engine problems" doesn't say much about what's wrong. Assuming there's no damage to the engine components, a rebuild is fairly easy and inexpensive. The motors are very reliable.

The problem with picking up a project Kawi 4-stroke STX is that other components that often go bad (gauges, exhaust, jet pump) can end up costing more than the ski is worth.

The important queastion is... How cheap?

3. +1 by:

+1
    Keep in mind that when they say, "Oh, it just needs a battery," either it has a rod sticking out the side of the case, or it sank and wasn't dried out.

I haven't had to work on any Kawi 4-strokes--yet. But, I've worked on a bunch of Kawi 2-strokes and they all cost a lot more to fix than I anticipated.

Do a compression test before committing to buy. See if the gauges work. Inspect the jet pump. Don't pay more than what the gauges and pump will bring on Ebay. Keep in mind that (at least in my state) you can't even haul the hull off to the dump unless you have a title in your name.

ly[QUOTE=zoomjay;2974334]I have a chance to pick up an 06 Kawi STX 12f pretty cheap... think it has engine problems... I am not sure how bad they are. Are these motors known to blow or are they pretty dependable? Are the difficult/expensive to rebuild?

I have mainly worked on Sea Doos and Yammies and am familiar with those skis. The Kawi is a bit of a mystery... although maybe a decent learning experience....

Thoughts?[/QUOTE

Actually, the naturally aspirated 1.2 and 1.5, from what I have been seeing, are extremely reliable. Provided they are cared for properly and not severely abused. I would imagine that's why there are so many of the early 12f and 15f's still around and they are still making the ski's with the 1.5L engine. If the main bearing isn't wiped, if it wasn't full of water or wiped a piston / head, then it may be a good deal if bought for the right price. There are complete engines out there, but they may be as bad as the one you have.

The weak points are:
    If ridden real hard and jumping wakes and such, the pump shaft can creep, pushing on the crankshaft and wiping #3 main bearing / thrust bearing.
    The multi function gauge is very prone to not being 100% waterproof and croaking when it gets wet. Very expensive to replace.
    The N/A engines are high compression and good premium grade fuel MUST be used or valves / pistons will go south from detonation.

I bought mine as a basket case w/ a bad engine (bearing #3 wiped). Yes, was costly to repair, though less than buying a used one. But now, she is like a new ski (older hull), with a brand new plant and electrical system and runs like a dream.
    Last edited by pops; 08-22-2018 at 02:43 AM.

Hi, i have 2 STX, one is a 12, and other is a 15, but both wont start, looks complete, gauger turn on, but wont start, i don`t hear the start, the seller told me that need to be reprogramed afterr a battery change, but cant find more info, did you know the procedure?

+1
    I'm not all that knowledgeable about 4-strokes, yet, but I think the seller is full of it. The starter doesn't spin? Try jumping from the battery directly to the terminal on the starter. Could be a frozen jet pump. You might also try removing the spark plugs to see if it will crank.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PARALAMOTO View Post
    Hi, i have 2 STX, one is a 12, and other is a 15, but both wont start, looks complete, gauger turn on, but wont start, i don`t hear the start, the seller told me that need to be reprogramed afterr a battery change, but cant find more info, did you know the procedure?
    Ya this is not true at all. I take my battery out for the winter and install it the next season. Never heard of this.

+1
    The key is inserted right? Goes in the glove box..

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PARALAMOTO View Post

yeah, beat the seller with a bat for being a bald faced liar

nothing needs "programming" after a battery is changed ( with the exception of one model year of seadoo that forgets it has trim if the battery is out too long)

engines very reliable and very expensive to replace. rebuilds are average if there is no engine case or head damage

great skis, some of my favorites now that I've left two strokes behind

consoles are wallet flatteningly expensive and if you lose the key you need to pull the switch to get the replacement key number

outside of that, winterize them yearly and they'll last a good long time

Thread Information