Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

+1

Introducing Project WhiteTrashRaider 96 WaveRaider 1100 Big Bore

Hey guys. . I've lurked on a here a while, but never posted. Thought I'd finally take a few minutes to post about my skis.

I fell in love with the waveraiders as a kid in the 90s, and always wanted one. I'm very partial to the Yamahas. My cousin had an 89 Waverunner II, and we did have a 94 WaveRunner III for a few years, before the engine blew up. To me the old skis are so much more fun to ride than the new ones, there is just something about a 2 stroke. My buddy has 2x 2015 Seadoos, they're nice, fast, and honestly much, much more comfortable to ride in the ocean and intercoastal waterways. Since I just like to go out for short blasts the old school, small, lightweight skis are much more fun. I kind of enjoy being on the edge a bit. . and the raiders definitely excel with that! Over 25 years experience riding PWCs and I've been bucked off raiders more than once. Not to mention my buddy's Seadoos set him back like $20k, and I'll have about $3,000 total in both raiders after I buy a double trailer.

Fast forward 20 years from my childhood, and I ran across a client with a Pristine (literally like brand new) 94 Raider 700 with the lightweight Purple Hull. He was moving so I offered him $400 for it, sans trailer. I've had it for 3.5 years now, and it's been a great ski. I added K&N filter, ADA Racing Carb adapters, R&D Ride Plate, R&D Intake Grate, and Pro-Tec 50mm extended nozzle. Tops out at 49-51 mph on gps with the grate and nozzle. Had it up to 52-53 in stock form.

The 700 is fun, but I wanted more speed. . . and a matching set of skis. . .one is no fun lol.

So last spring I found a 96 1100 Raider on craigslist for $250. It had dropped the #2 cylinder oil line, and trashed the cylinder wall and piston. Since it was sitting in the previous owners yard. . .looking pretty derelict, I've decided to name this project WhiteTrashRaider. . . because it's a white hull vs my purple 94, and it was basically trash when I got it.

Here it is the day I picked it up.

I tore the engine apart not long after I got it. This is what I found inside:

After I disassembled it. . .I took it into the machine shop along with some new 84mm, coated, WSM pistons. Was originally going to go with Weisco but decided on the middle of the road, more budget friendly option.

So I punched it out a full 3mm over stock. . .Which should still leave me 2 overbores left on the sleeves. Lol, the machinist called me back after I dropped it off to make sure I knew what I dropped off. Apparently he didn't hear all my instructions when I dropped it off. So about $350 in machine work later I got my cylinders back, set up with the new pistons with about .004 piston to cylinder wall clearance. While he was at it I also had him mill the head down .020. It was a little warped, and I wanted to get a slight bump in compression.

That was all done last year, and right after I bought the 1100, I also bought a 94 S10 Blazer 4x4 for a tow rig. Unfortunately I had to rebuild the trans in the Blazer so the Raider got pushed aside. Blazer is done now, so trying to get back into the Raider.

Here's the tow rig with the 700 after my lake trip in July. . . Of course the diaphragms in the carbs went out, so I didn't get much riding time. Lol now I have 5 38mm Carbs to rebuild!

It's all just sitting by waiting to be reassembled. I'll be sticking with the 38mm Mikuni carbs. . . .Not sure which sizes I should go with, but planning to install larger jets to match the modifications. Planning on deleting the choke, and installing a primer kit along with a NOS R&D Flame arrestor I found on ebay. I also got a new set of Boyesen reeds.

For now I'll be sticking with the stock 1100 ignition system. I've read the 1200 ignition is good for a bit more power, so I may look at doing that upgrade down the road.

My goal with this ski is a true 70 mph on the GPS. Since these raider hulls are notoriously squirly I expect that to be a pretty terrifying . I still need to get an extended nozzle from Pro-Tec for the 1100. It made such a difference on the 700 that I consider it a MANDATORY upgrade, especially with the speed/power of the 1100.

The 1100 also has an old set of Beach House sponsons installed, which look like they should really help handling vs the pathetic stock sponsons on the 700.

Hopefully I'll get this back together in the next month or two. . . Stay tuned for more updates here, or on my Instagram account #WhiteTrashRaider

+1
    Here are a few more pictures of parts in their current condition.

One of the new pistons

Here's the cylinders and head

I still need to go back and chamfer the ports, since the machine shop didn't do that. . .at least not to my satisfaction. Upon reexamining everything I think I will also try to do a little case smoothing too. I wasn't planning on it originally but now I'm thinking it needs some attention. Also going back and reading up on some of the older 1100 big bore builds for ideas and tips. I read up on a lot if it last year when I started this, but can't remember all the little details now. Need to make sure I've got it all correct for this setup.

I said above that I'd love to see 70 mph, but I'm not trying to build a race ski. Just want something I can go be crazy on for a 1/2 hr, but still be able to cruise all day if I want to.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Found a few more pictures of the project. . . you know why actually work on it when I can just post about it lol.

Sorry for putting things out of order, but I totally forgot I had these pictures of the tear down.

Here's the two skis, side by side when I began. I still only have a single trailer, so one must be on the ground. Currently the 700 is back on the trailer.

Engine didn't look terrible. Not clean but I've seen pictures of far worse.

It's pretty faded overall, one 3-4in crack in the gunnel.

It's not bad, so I'll probably just try to seal it. Still trying to decide what my cosmetic goals for this are. I'll probably try to buff out as much oxidization as I can. . . . Will probably try to paint the plastics (mirrors, hood trim, handle bar area). Maybe blue, since I don't want to try to paint the rubber, which is still slightly blue lol. Also definitely not interested in painting the hull either. . Thinking it will get a bunch of random stickers once buffed.

Will eventually recover the seat, and get a set of handlebars.

Here is the first teardown picture, after removing the head cover. Water passages were pretty nasty in there!!

Jugs Removed

Here's a close shot of #2 cylinder wall. . . It actually didn't look too bad considering it dropped the oil line.

Here's a close up of it after machining

awesome good stuff .

6. +1 by:

+1
    @Waveraider12 - Thank you

So I got a bit more motivation yesterday afternoon. Started looking at what's getting ground down / smoothed out. I started with the Intake Manifold, since it was the smallest part. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics. . didn't feel like breaking out my good camera.

Here's one of the throats before I attacked it with a carbide bit.

Here's the other side

One of the throats after grinding

Other side after grinding

I don't think I went too extreme here at all. Was just trying to smooth out all the rough edges. I did open up the bore slightly, but my biggest focus was on the transitions at the top of the manifold. Got it all smooth so should help clean up the air flow.

This is my first time ever doing this kind of work, so trying to take it slow and not ruin anything. I did start on the intake ports in the upper half of the crankcase, but this is where I was less sure of how much to grind out, so I didn't do too much.

Been looking at Wax's old build from a few years ago for reference. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=case+porting

I'm not planning to enlarge the cylinder ports, or try to change the port timing, so nothing as involved as Wax. The ramp he built up in the case with JB weld is pretty interesting, I'm contemplating trying it but most likely won't bother.

Still learning here, but I believe it's the transfer port in the cylinder. . . Small port on intake side of the cylinder. . . . I can see that it's very rough in there, and there's a huge step. Sorry no picture of this, but I know the OE yamaha castings are known to be pretty terrible. Going to see if I can get my Dremel in there with the flex shaft to clean those up.

My biggest hold up has been that I was afraid to grind, but now that I've started it doesn't seem too bad. I have no basis for comparison since I've never actually ridden an 1100 raider in any form, but I'm excited for the end result seeing how much airflow can be improved with just a little grinding. . . Making me want to tear the 700 apart too, but I'll leave that alone until it actually needs a rebuild.
    Last edited by KnightRaider; 08-24-2018 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Fix Pic Link

+1
    Also, I do have a question for anyone that might know.

Will the 1100 head worth with the 84mm pistons/bore without modification?

I'm searching for an answer but so far haven't found one. . .Other than a couple mentions of having the domes recut to 84mm. Will be a little while before I'm ready to put the head back on, but just trying to figure it out.

Visually it looks like it will be ok, but I want to make sure I don't damage a fresh engine.

+1
    Spent probably an hour so far, working on porting the case. Since I hadn't really planned on this up front I never got any JB weld to fill in the case. Probably need to pick up some of that before I can go much further.

I've gotten one almost as open as I plan on taking them. I can definitely see the benefit of this work, but definitely going to take another 1-2 hrs of grinding at minimum to finish the upper case half. . .then on to work on cleaning up the cylinder ports.

Here's my case porting progress so far.

Also, I've decided to not build up the ramp out of JB weld like Wax did on his build. Just going to open this up a bit more, then match the other two.

Just eyeballing it for the most part. . .using my digital caliper for reference to try to keep everything as symmetrical as possible, as well as keeping the porting consistent across all 3 cylinders.

+1
    Well . . .Just sent an e-mail to Tim Judge to see about getting my head re-cut for the 84mm pistons. Lol his website is ancient, but I'm hoping he's still doing this work.. . .looks like it from facebook. Also, hoping it won't be a big expense to have that done. Would love to have him rework my cylinders too but it just isn't in the cards.

I've looked for used 1200 65u heads, but all I've found are in very bad shape. . .plus I'm not sure if the 65u head is just a bolt on the 1100 jugs with 84mm pistons.

I did start with the JB weld yesterday, probably need to pick up one more package of it to finish. Lol I didn't even realize until I went back and looked at the picture above, that I'd made that little hole from not having the cases filled when I started. Going to do some more grinding this afternoon.

Anyway I went back and looked at Bullraiders build more closely and I'm going to try to match my porting more to his build than wax's huge porting. I also decided that I should go ahead and add two more pulse fittings while I have this all apart. I believe it should be fine to cap them off until I upgrade to 44mm carb set up.

Not planning on going with the 65u Carbs and Ignition right now, but it's definitely getting done at some point in the future, and I don't want to have do disassemble later to drill pulse fittings.

Especially with this porting I know the 38mm's are going to hold me back, but budget isn't permitting me to spend another $400-500 on the rest of the 1200 upgrades right now. So far I haven't found any better deals on the conversion parts. Hopefully I'll find a good deal if I keep looking for long enough.

+1
    Just wanted to give a shout out, and Thank you to @MPeavler. I started bugging him on facebook, and I'm grateful they he has been kind enough to share his years of wisdom with me.

Worked on the cases more last night. . getting there.

Crappy pictures again. . . Top of the ports are pretty close to where I want them, but need to smooth them out a little more.

Based on my conversation with Mike I have to lower my expectations a little. Shooting for 65 with this setup. I knew 70 wouldn't be cheap, but I'm not a close as I thought. . . Future Goals!

i dont think you will be too far off im running 62 mph on my 1100 she just stock other than the impeller is upgraded i love my raider, they are rockets my friend has a 951 seadoo and I just blow it away . only problem I have is it jumping out of water at high speeds im thinking a new d plate might help this im loving your build thanks for sharing . cant wait to see more .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information