Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    What are you plans with crank wise? If your middle cylinder was cooked, that rod might be damaged. Do the rods spin without any noise? I rode an 1100 wave raider for about 6 years. It had a lot of the same mods you have or are planning. I loved the 63m motor, but I really hated the hull. It was great for river riding, but I would get soaked and beat to death in even mild chop, also no storage, and a small fuel and oil tank. I ended up cutting up the wave raider hull and putting it out on the curb. I swapped the 63m into a GPR and I'm much happier. Last week I picked up a 65u that had been sitting in a pasture out in the rain for a long time, I also picked up from the same guy a 2000 1200 XL hull. I'm in the process of rebuilding the 65u, and I'm going to swap it into the XL. I'm going to go with wsm pistons as well. I'm waiting to hear back from the machine shop with .5mm over will clean up the bores. I found a good used crank on ebay. I really like the 63m and 65u motors, and now I'll have a sporty hull (GPR) and a practical hull (XL). Anyways... I have an 1100 motor and 1200 motor, so if there is anything I can measure or check for you, let me know.

+1
    It'll be almost impossible to hold onto it at 70mph. I wouldn't attempt it....but I'm an older guy. Good luck with it. Had a 96 Raider 760. My absolute favorite ski ever. Loved it, wish I hadn't sold it.

+1
    Hey Guys sorry I've been MIA. . . .Too many other projects. I still have this one though.

stephenspann77 - I haven't done anything to the crank. I can see that it's been rebuilt before as it's been welded. Unfortunately I don't have the proper tools the check the run out on it, although I guess I really should check somehow. There is no noise at all when spinning the rods, there wasn't any discoloration on the rods or crank either.

What I'm most unsure of at this point is the cylinder head domes. . .I know i should get them recut for the 84mm pistons. I had e-mailed Tim Judge about it a while ago but never heard back.

Anyway. . . I was just on FB marketplace looking for more bad ideas when I found a free 94 Puple hull Raider, so going to go collect that now. Plan #1 is to install the 63m in the purple hull, since its like 100lbs lighter. It would then match my 700 too.

If I can't get it cleaned up, or if it's much worse than my 1100 hull, then I'll just strip off any good parts to sell and junk the rest of it.

With too many projects the budget does hold me back, so worst case I can make a few bucks from the parts I don't need, and use that to finish the engine build.

+1
    Nice build you have going on. Always been a fan of the raiders. Owned one for over half my life (14 out of 26 years). Been saying I was going to sell it for the last two years as it doesn't get used anymore now that I've got the LS2000 boat but just can't get myself to do it.

We have similar tastes looking at your signature. I'm also a member over on TGO (dabomb6608 over there). I will have to read through your Trans Am build as well. I hear you 100% on the too many projects thing.

+1

Well here it is. . . A little worse than I expected, so I may be just salvaging a few parts and junking it. The steering and trim are pretty stiff, and the pump looks terrible.

If I do use it, looks like every little thing is going to have to come off of the 1100 hull and go onto this one, so not sure if that's worth saving 100 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191029_120601.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	455623  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderteen View Post
    Nice build you have going on. Always been a fan of the raiders. Owned one for over half my life (14 out of 26 years). Been saying I was going to sell it for the last two years as it doesn't get used anymore now that I've got the LS2000 boat but just can't get myself to do it.

We have similar tastes looking at your signature. I'm also a member over on TGO (dabomb6608 over there). I will have to read through your Trans Am build as well. I hear you 100% on the too many projects thing.
    Thank You. Lol we do have very similar stuff in our garages. I'll have to look for you on TGO as well. T/A is so close to being done, but keep hitting frustrating little set backs.

Glad to see another Raider enthusiast. I know what you mean though, I don't get as much use as I'd like. . . although would probably use them a bit more with 2 running. I hate riding 2up on these. . . and the 700 has left me stranded a couple times now, so I don't go too far without a wingman.

+1
    My T/A has been on back burner for a few years now. Gave it a lot of attention this summer and its back to being a "driver". Need to update my engine build thread actually but haven't. Its officially parked for the winter. Will be installing a adjustable torque arm setup and changing valve springs hopefully before spring time. Needs a repaint but that won't happen till we move and I get a bigger garage.

If we lived on the water I wouldn't hesitate to keep the raider. Its been very dependable through the years, except for that one time I was young and dumb and forgot to reinstall oil lines after a carb rebuild...user error will get you every time.

But with a very likely cross country move down south sometime in 2021 it would be completely unrealistic for me to add it to the list of vehicles/toys needing to be driven/hauled down. The T/A, Harley, and boat will most likely be my only toys making the trip unfortunately.

On to that purple hull raider... You would be surprised what a trip to a DIY car wash with some cleaning brushes/microfiber rags will do inside and out once engine is removed. One thing I was trying to dig into my memory to remember was if those 701 skis or purple hull skis specifically had the 144mm pumps vs the 155mm pumps the 1100s had. And whether or not that will affect things on a 1100 swap. Steering cables and trim cables should(?) be the same.

8. +1 by:

+1
    You USA boys are really lucky having purple hulls still around!

Not been on here for a while and came on to post a classified and see if there’s any left here in the UK

Good work Nightraider! Great to see a Raider build post. And to see a few other old names still on here too. I’ve had my 96’ 1100 Raider about 9yrs now. It’s had thousands thrown at it. Porting, 84.5mm, Wiseco’s, 44’ carbs etc etc. About 65mph. But I REALLY want to do a purple hull swap now for weight
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6239742A-1B22-4208-B888-03F2BB3ED820.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	163.0 KB 
ID:	455702   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3169248C-03AB-4927-B049-2FCDF1AA312A.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	455703  

10. +1 by:

+1
    I ran the 1200 CDI for a while too with an 1100 flywheel. The 1100 flywheel is lighter, just needs the trigger band grinding down to match the 1200, simple mod

Now running a Zeeltronic PDCI-30 as Wax uses, and magnets removed from the flywheel for lightness. highly recommended

+1
    Thanks for the input guys! After moving both hulls in the yard I've pretty much decided the triple has to go into the new purple hull.

Anyone really know about the pumps? I am 99.9% sure the 96 1100 hull has the 155mm pump, and the 94 701s have 144mm. Haven't looked closely yet, but the pump looks terrible on the new purple hull, so I was thinking of trying to put the 155mm pump from the 1100 into it. . . if that's even possible with out a ton of work.

Raiderteen - I'm going to bust out the pressure washer and see what I can do. Looking like it will need some fresh gelcoat on top at least. Trying to decide whether to make it really nice, or leave it crappy looking and surprise some people.

Raider1200 - Great tips on the ignition setup. I'm planning to do the 1200 CDI swap after I get it running. Then maybe the 44mm carbs too. I guess you're my benchmark, I'll hope to hit 65 with the lighter hull, since you have the better ignition and carbs. Your porting is probably much better too, since I'm just winging that part of it as I have no case porting experience, and I'm not going to really mess with the cylinder porting. . . .Did you re-cut the cylinder head for the larger pistons?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information