Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

+1
    I just had a 3/4 x 2 inch rock get sucked up in my wife's 2021 RXTX. Sounded terrible and vibrated like crazy. Pulled it out of the water and the rock was still there but fell out as soon as I touched it. Impeller has a few dings on the leading edge. Wear ring looks badly grooved. Put it back in the water and it still runs great. Still hits 70 on the dash and doesn't seem to pull any different. I was surprised it didn't effect performance by any measure I could tell at least.

I do plan on pulling the impeller, inspecting it closely, and truing it back up. I want to replace the wear ring but after a pretty good experience with the stock ring I am tempted to go back with another OEM ring. There is a lot of gravel on the shore of where I ride. I am not the one that rides this ski most of the time so accidents do happen.

What do you think the results would have been with a SS wear ring???

+1
    I'm with you on the sacrificial aspect of the OEM ring. It does erode a bit on the modified skis. The only issue that I ever had with the OEM material is that after about 15 years, it might start breaking down and chunking. My answer is just to change it out every ten years or so.

On one of Greg Gaddis' videos, he did see some erosion to the plastic wear ring on his 21 PX.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wasnitrous View Post
    Your impeller would have still been dinged up with the SS wear ring. No wear ring is going to protect you from that.

The only difference is now you have to buy a new wear ring as well as fix, or replace your impeller. No damage would have been done to the stainless steel wear ring.

+1
    If you have a Plastic pump like a 2002/2003 GTX 155. Would a Stainless ring eliminate the recommendation to upgrade to an aluminum pump?

Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kingofl337 View Post
    If you have a Plastic pump like a 2002/2003 GTX 155. Would a Stainless ring eliminate the recommendation to upgrade to an aluminum pump?

Thanks.
    No, the stainless steel wear ring will not properly fit the plastic pump. you need to upgrade your pump to the 2004 or newer aluminum pump.

My buddy has a 2017 trixx that after a tune and impros 12/15 impeller is now all of a sudden destroying wear rings every ride. Impros told him to run a SS wear ring because the plastic ones can flex. I just want to make sure ive checked over everything that could be the cause of this. We’ve had no problems the last 2 years with it before the impeller and tune. Went through the pump this spring and everything checked out ok. The only thing im scratching my head on is the motor alignment and how its checked.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sws96 View Post
    My buddy has a 2017 trixx that after a tune and impros 12/15 impeller is now all of a sudden destroying wear rings every ride. Impros told him to run a SS wear ring because the plastic ones can flex. I just want to make sure ive checked over everything that could be the cause of this. We’ve had no problems the last 2 years with it before the impeller and tune. Went through the pump this spring and everything checked out ok. The only thing im scratching my head on is the motor alignment and how its checked.
    I'm wondering if the tune and ring destruction at the same time is a coincidence?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sws96 View Post
    The plastic wear rings on the Spark are absolute crap. When you increase power, you need to be running the stainless steel wear ring

RIVA Sea-Doo Spark 140mm Stainless Steel Wear Ring

RS33-140-SK
    Our heavy-duty, 100% stainless steel wear rings/impeller liners are the perfect replacement for your damaged original plastic unit. Replaces original plastic liner with easy installation. Durable stainless steel resists debris damage and saltwater corrosion. Provides increased durability and perform...
    $179.95
    Add To Cart

+1
    I will say that with the 2 Spark TRIXX we have in our family, the wear rings don't just get grooves and slow down like the other model SEADOOs they actually break and the machines are crippled until they are replaced. I'm sure it's because they are not supported by the jet pump like the other models.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wasnitrous View Post
    I just had a 3/4 x 2 inch rock get sucked up in my wife's 2021 RXTX. Sounded terrible and vibrated like crazy. Pulled it out of the water and the rock was still there but fell out as soon as I touched it. Impeller has a few dings on the leading edge. Wear ring looks badly grooved. Put it back in the water and it still runs great. Still hits 70 on the dash and doesn't seem to pull any different. I was surprised it didn't effect performance by any measure I could tell at least.

I do plan on pulling the impeller, inspecting it closely, and truing it back up. I want to replace the wear ring but after a pretty good experience with the stock ring I am tempted to go back with another OEM ring. There is a lot of gravel on the shore of where I ride. I am not the one that rides this ski most of the time so accidents do happen.

More damage to your impeller

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information