Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    I believe both the plastic OEM wear ring and the SS wear ring have their place depending on the environment primarily ridden. If you mostly ride in an sandy type environment with a low probability of sucking anything significantly larger then a small pebble thru, the SS is the way to go. Otherwise, the OEM plastic wear ring works just fine; it's cost effective and easy to replace and remains the weak point between the housing and impeller. Installing an SS wear ring makes the prop the weak link in the equation and thus is more costly to replace when necessary. Pro's and Con's to both, like with most things personal preference plays the biggest role......

+1
    Ran SS for 3 seasons and the liner was like new and the tips of my impeller eaten/cavitated.
    New prop and back on plastic and there was the speed again........
    Just my experience

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    using a stainless wear ring is like marrying a well endowed gal, there are downsides and upsides to consider

if there was a free lunch in jetpumps, I'd be first in line when the buffet opens

I advise my customers to go with plastic inland to save the prop, stainless for ocean riding where getting back to shore after any ingestion incident must be a priority

+1
    Yamaha has run SS for years - they seem to have some of the fastest... Like a face mask - your choice

I run SS

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by alsmith218 View Post
    I believe both the plastic OEM wear ring and the SS wear ring have their place depending on the environment primarily ridden. If you mostly ride in an sandy type environment with a low probability of sucking anything significantly larger then a small pebble thru, the SS is the way to go. Otherwise, the OEM plastic wear ring works just fine; it's cost effective and easy to replace and remains the weak point between the housing and impeller. Installing an SS wear ring makes the prop the weak link in the equation and thus is more costly to replace when necessary. Pro's and Con's to both, like with most things personal preference plays the biggest role......
    I've been working on all PWC brands for over 26 years. BRP is the only one that uses a plastic wear ring. All others use stainless steel. If you suck up rocks with a Yamaha or Kawasaki, it damages the impeller and I have it repaired. If you suck up rocks with a SeaDoo, it still damages the impeller but also take out the wear ring. Now you need an impeller repair and a new wear ring, every time. If you suck up a stick with a SeaDoo, it damages the wear ring and will need to be replaced. If you suck up a stick with a Yamaha or Kawasaki, you get the stick out and you are on your way. The plastic wear ring is not a sacrificial part but a revenue generator, nothing more.

Chester

+1
    SS is nice against sticks but man does it eat up the edges of impellers. Every single one of mine got eaten up at the edges and less important burn marks at the hub.

+1
    I think we can all agree that props flex, especially in a higher revving motor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    I've been working on all PWC brands for over 26 years. BRP is the only one that uses a plastic wear ring. All others use stainless steel. If you suck up rocks with a Yamaha or Kawasaki, it damages the impeller and I have it repaired. If you suck up rocks with a SeaDoo, it still damages the impeller but also take out the wear ring. Now you need an impeller repair and a new wear ring, every time. If you suck up a stick with a SeaDoo, it damages the wear ring and will need to be replaced. If you suck up a stick with a Yamaha or Kawasaki, you get the stick out and you are on your way. The plastic wear ring is not a sacrificial part but a revenue generator, nothing more.

Chester

Exactly! one of the top selling items in the GreenHulkStore is factory plastic wear rings. I never recommend them. Always go with a stainless steel wear ring. you will only need one of them for the life of your ski.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information