Xr1800 fuel pump

I've recently acquired a free xr1800. Unfortunately it needed another motor but was able to source one.

One of the issues I have is the fuel pump wires were cut from the harness somewhere ( I assume it's so the pump wo t turn on and pour fuel everywhere while its disconnected).

Does anyone have an idea where it connects to?

+1
    Welcome aboard, Gardner!

The electric fuel pump is not stock. It is most likely part of the Group K fuel/air separator kit. Sometimes, if you're making a gradual turn and the fuel level is low, the pickup in the tank will get uncovered and feed air to the engines. The fuel/air separator provides a small reservoir of gas for the engines, and routes air back to the tank.

Most people hook the pump up to a wire on the ignition circuit that is activated when the key is turned on.

There are several things you MUST do/know on the XR 1800, if you haven't already done so:

Open the bilge and inspect the exhaust system. The rubber isolators under the waterboxes come loose, allowing the waterboxes to rub holes all the way through the hull!!!! We've had a couple of them sink! This will tell you how to gain access to the bilge area: http://yamahajetboaters.com/membertips/bilgeaccess.html

The original oil lines WILL fall off, resulting in engine failure. You really need to upgrade the oil lines or convert to pre-mixed fuel.

The catalytic converter elements break apart in a very short time. They create a lot of heat in the engine compartment, resulting in hard starting and poor running when hot. You can't just remove the converter element; you have to install a restrictor plate, called a D-plate, to provide proper backpressure to the exhaust. The chip for the overheat sensor needs to be changed, too.

Your engines have a device known as power valves, which can fail and cause a mess. There is a mod called power valve clips or Waveeater clips that you really need to do.

Remember, when flushing the cooling system, NEVER run the water unless the engine is running!!! Start the engine, THEN turn on the water. Shut off the water, THEN turn off the engine. Running the water without having engine running can allow water to flow backward through the exhaust into the engine cylinders and cause major damage!!!

If you crank the engine over with the starter and the spark plugs are removed, you MUST ground the spark plug wires to the engine block to prevent damage to the ignition box. On the other boats, removing the wrist lanyard disables the ignition—NOT SO on the XR 1800! You must leave the lanyard in to crank the engine.

It is not recommended that you store your boat in the water for long periods. Debris can collect in the jet pumps and prevent starting; salt water will cause severe corrosion. Leaks are not uncommon, either. If you must store your boat in the water, it is highly recommended that you install a backup bilge pump with float switch, and a backup power source.

Cleanout Plugs
    Make sure the plugs are in snugly and tie them together with a rope so you don’t lose one!

Drain Plug
    Do not store the boat with the drain plug inserted (obviously not applicable if you leave the boat in the water). Rain water can collect inside the hull and flood the engine compartment.

That's great Info, thank you! I was able to track down where the pump was wired too and I'll have to replace it.

I'm now having another issue. I cannot get the motors to turn over. I put the key in and hear three beeps but it wont turn over and I dont hear a click from the starter solenoid. I've bypassed the hatch switches, neutral switch and the lanyard switch with no luck. Battery is good as well.

It was turning over and now I have nothing.

Going to replace the solenoid and go from there.

Not the solenoids. Still wont turn over.

+1
    Check for power on the brown wire. Could be the relays are wired backwards. Check all battery cable connections and engine ground connections.

Did some searching, found I'm getting power to the box but once I turn the key I'm only getting 10.5v to the solenoid.

+1
    I don't know what the voltage should be, but it won't be 12 volts with the starter engaged, especially if the engine isn't turning over.

Have you jumped directly from the battery to the starter?

Thread Information