Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cracked Hull on 2018 GTX 230 with CM Tech Hull

My 2018 GTX 230 has a couple of cracks in the hull from an accident. It was taken to a local boat jet ski repair shop to fix the damage. They discovered that the hull is not a typical fiberglass hull so they cannot repair it properly. After research, I found that the new hull is made from a material called CM Tech. My insurance co. cannot find anyone that knows how to repair it and I certainly don't know. They are scratching their heads and I feel like I need to advise them even though I don't have a clue. Does anyone here have any experience with this material that could direct me how to get this thing repaired. Just thought I would take a shot. Thanks!

+1
    BRP claimed in marketing material that CM Tec can be repaired using ordinary body shop repair materials and techniques. As far a scratches and gouges go, that means body filling and paint. Impact cracking is an entirely different thing than the gel coat that was previously used. SMC and other no fiberglass materials have been used by Kawi and Yami for years. A repair place that does PWC repair should have some good ideas. The first place to contact is your dealer for a pathway to BRP approved repair.

If it is cracked all the way through the hull, I would lobby hard with my insurance company to total it. They can recover a lot through salvage. Good Luck.

+1
    Tell your insurance company to write you a check.

Contact BRP, they should recommend who is certified to work those hulls.

If the boat repair shop can't/won't fix it, take it to an automotive body shop as BRP suggests. CM-Tec is a proprietary fiberglass, PVC, and acrylic composite. BRP will supply the body shop with detailed instructions on how to repair it, including the matching paint codes. Contact BRP directly or work with them through your dealer.

This should be adequate for cosmetic repairs. However, if the accident has caused significant structural damage, demand to your insurance agency to total the PWC. CM-Tec is a lightweight material which has not proven to be very resilient even when new and fully intact. Personally, I can't see how it can be repaired to be properly structural again once significantly damaged. I believe that a friction bonded repair (which is now all that is possible) cannot be made to be strong enough again to replace the original molecularly bonded material, and may possibly ultimately fail. Since this damage was caused by an accident, BRP is not accountable and most likely will offer no help if the repair fails. Unless the insurance company or the body shop is willing to offer you a binding guarantee that the repair won't ever fail, then demand to the insurance company that the PWC cannot be properly repaired and should be totaled. If you don't, and the repair fails, you will be stuck with a useless ski. There is also a safety factor here. If the repair fails, you can easily sink with you and possibly your family on board. Make this known to the insurance company. If they cannot guarantee an adequate and safe repair, then you are entitled to ask that the PWC be totaled for full reimbursement of the insured value.

Thank you all for your replies and opinions. I'm not very happy with my insurance so far and not sure how hard they are working on this problem for me. I have tried calling BRP and they want me to contact a certified dealership. I did that and they told me they could get it repaired but it was a lengthy process involving BRP. I would prefer to get a proper repair done because I would only be out my deductible. I can't understand why they would make a machine that cannot be repaired safely if an accident like this happens. Even if the insurance wrote me a check for the MSRP, there are a lot of additional fees that were added on even after a "discount" that include freight, dealer prep, and tax. I would be out a lot of additional money including my deductible, assuming I want to buy another new ski. And I might even have to wait til next model year not knowing how many 2018 models are available. Anyway, your comments do give me ideas and things to think about. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wrrush24 View Post
    Thank you all for your replies and opinions. I'm not very happy with my insurance so far and not sure how hard they are working on this problem for me. I have tried calling BRP and they want me to contact a certified dealership. I did that and they told me they could get it repaired but it was a lengthy process involving BRP. I would prefer to get a proper repair done because I would only be out my deductible. I can't understand why they would make a machine that cannot be repaired safely if an accident like this happens. Even if the insurance wrote me a check for the MSRP, there are a lot of additional fees that were added on even after a "discount" that include freight, dealer prep, and tax. I would be out a lot of additional money including my deductible, assuming I want to buy another new ski. And I might even have to wait til next model year not knowing how many 2018 models are available. Anyway, your comments do give me ideas and things to think about. Thanks!
    Having an accident and dealing with an insurance company is always tough and you have to be tough with them in return. They will always try to settle for the least amount of cost to them, but you do not have to accept this. You may have to fight with them quite a bit before they'll relent and compromise, but they usually do. They'll usually try a lowball offer first. You'd be surprised how many people will take it rather than fight.

Read your policy carefully, line by line. Some policies cover all costs for replacing a new vehicle (PWC in this case), including incidentals. It's usually called "new vehicle replacement" coverage. Unless you went for the lowest cost policy available, you may have it. If not, then you're still better off having the PWC totaled because if it has significant structural damage it's unlikely it can properly be repaired. They'll still try, and when the repair fails, you'll be stuck with a useless ski.

Why would PWC companies make a machine that cannot be repaired safely if an accident like this happens? Because they are trying to lower costs, maximize profits, and use ever lighter materials to make them faster than the competition. This is probably why BRP currently uses CM-Tec primarily on their fastest models.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Leave it to sea doo to invent something that sucks even more than nano x cel

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    Well, he did hit something. Nano x cel cracks on its own.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post

I would take the extra 20-30lb and keep the old style hull material. People were bitching about weight, so now we get this stuff ...no avoiding it so might as well roll with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information