Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    +1

GP1800 intake hull cracks covered by Yamaha

Has anyone had luck getting Yamaha to cover the cost of repairing their intake hull cracks? Wondering if anyone has tried and had any success?

+1
    I have 14 hours on mine and have been keeping a close eye on the grate. I dont see any stress mark or cracks as of yet. I'm sure you can get a better look by removing the grate. I work a lot as most do and don't have time to deal with this type of task myself. Yamaha needs to step up and perform a recall before people get rag dolled because of it. Or perhaps even worse, maybe the ski takes on water and sinks due to the defect in hull. I would just sit back and watch the insurance company battle it out with corporate. lol

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxxerboy View Post
    I have 14 hours on mine and have been keeping a close eye on the grate. I dont see any stress mark or cracks as of yet. I'm sure you can get a better look by removing the grate.
    Without removing the intake grate it is not possible to detect cracking around the intake grate bolt holes, until the cracks become extensive and the grate is at risk of moving out of position. The initial stages of failure are above the intake grate bolt area, where they cannot be seen.

My recommendation for all GP1800 (both 2017 and 2018 models) is to have the reinforcement done proactively. Do not wait for cracks to become evident, this makes the reinforcement work more difficult. And creates risk of unexpected and perhaps sudden failure while on the water.

Reinforcing the intake grate bolt area on a non-damaged GP1800 hull is fairly straightforward and can be completed in a single day, typically it might take a few hours. The larger Ďhull insertí brackets are a standard Yamaha part from a different model.

I have posted how I reinforced my own GP1800 hulls for the intake grate. I did two GP1800 hulls on the same day, including fabricating four aluminum spacer plates and installing the reinforcements with West System epoxy.

+1
    I would think that if Yamaha made a design change to the hull in that area either by using the FX brackets, not cutting the inner hull, or other means for the 2019 models, they are acknowledging that there was a issue.

Hopefully Yamaha steps up and issues a recall for the VXR, VXHO, and GP1800 to add reinforcement brackets now.

+1
    Yes I agree. My question was has anyone contacted Yamaha and had any luck. Mine are cracked and getting repaired now. So I am gonna talk to them and see what they say. Thanks

+1
    All I know is if Yamaha didn't fix this error on the 19's they are somewhat out of their minds.

I agree that it is an easy fix but it is truly unacceptable at this point in time.

I do like the fact that we can literally make the intake grate area stronger than it would have been from factory had they actually done it right. It's just very uncalled for at this stage in the game. Sure it happens but I would just expect them to rectify it this year. If not just for the safety and sanity of their customers.

I can't imagine that they didn't fix it now considering they are running a new intake grate and a new ride plate at this point on both GP, VXR and probably the FX (which never had issues).

+1
    I just got off the phone with Yamaha Corporate. I explained that I have a 2018 Gp 1800 with 14 hours and have not yet experienced what others have with the defective portion of the hull. The representative stated that this is the first time that they have heard of this happening. He said there are no reported cases as of yet. I asked him why did Yamaha rectify this for the 2019 GP1800 then? He said he could not answer that. So basically nothing will be done about this unless owners report it. 1-800-962-7926

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmafighter View Post
    ... Mine are cracked and getting repaired now...
    Do you know what repair method is being used?

Reinforcement with larger insert brackets as part of the repair, or just reinstall the regular GP1800 hull inserts?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gixxxerboy View Post
    I just got off the phone with Yamaha Corporate. I explained that I have a 2018 Gp 1800 with 14 hours and have not yet experienced what others have with the defective portion of the hull. The representative stated that this is the first time that they have heard of this happening. He said there are no reported cases as of yet. I asked him why did Yamaha rectify this for the 2019 GP1800 then? He said he could not answer that. So basically nothing will be done about this unless owners report it. 1-800-962-7926
    I just called them as well and I spoke with a guy named Christian and he told me the same thing they havenít heard of this. I told him that was funny because I have heard of 50 or so cases with just the forums I know off. I also told him well it must be a problem if Riva sells a fix for it. So he advised me to take the ski to a dealer. I told him that seems great but my dealer said he has a wait of about 3 weeks to a month. Iím not waiting that long. He said unless itís at a dealer then nothing they can do. So I might swing it by the dealer for them to see the damage and document it just to see what they might do.

+1
    WOW, this forum is literally the best test bed for Yamaha. I can't believe that they wouldn't monitor it. People have definitely called in about it before.

Some people don't like to admit it but forums are some of the best if not the best places for info and development of consumer products.

It's like saying youtube isn't a good source of instructional videos lol. There is literally a video on everything, even how to tie your shoes lol

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information