2015 Spark won't rev past 6000 rpm

Hi guys,

I bought the ski new in 2016 (2015 model year) and warranty expired in May. So a couple weeks ago the ski was running fine and then all of a sudden I noticed the ski wouldn't get past around 32mph, looking at the rev counter I also noticed that it was really the motor just revving to 6000rpm (almost like a lower limiter was set). Checked intake crate for weeds, checked wear ring and rimpeler and all looked good, the ski has about 49 hours on it,

Anyway, took it to Riva (dealer) so that they could diagnose it, and they came back with the following list:

Sea Doo general service
    Replace water pump gasket
    Rebuild jet pump
    Replace steering bushings
    Perform water test

So I asked the service guy if that would solve the issue and he said that they would have to water test it to make sure the issue was resolved. At this point I am furious that these guys sound like a bunch of incompetent part swappers, so I said I need to pay you a $1600 service bill to see if the problem was resolved? and at this point he comes back with "well, the plugs are also fouled and the coolant level seems low", so we would look at these items after the water test. I mean are these people serious? Mind you that they never took the top off, so how did they even know the plugs are fouled? I basically ended the conversation and told the guy not to touch my ski and that I was picking it up,

Any ideas as to what could be causing the lower redline? Also, what do you guys think about the dealer's diagnosis?

Doing some searches online, I read that losing a bolt from the venturi nozzle can cause water to spray to the sides of the jet making the boat lose speed, however mine looks fine... (I am also assuming the dealer would have caught that as well).

I appreciate your input!

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    why did they rebuild your pump?

They didn’t I told them not to touch my ski. I’m still trying to figure out the problem.

Any check engine light? Does it rev past 6000 out of the water?

No check engine lights or codes stored in the ECU (or so the dealer claims). The message “Maintenance Required” is being displayed, but I have already done 2 oil changes myself since new, and we have 2 other Sparks with the message on the display without any adverse effects.

I did try revving it up out of the water once, but I felt I might be causing more damage going that high while not under load. I can try again if it helps diagnosing it.
    Last edited by codeman; 08-13-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling corrections

Quote Originally Posted by codeman View Post
    no check engine lights or codes stored in the ecu (or so the dealer claims). The message “maintenance required” is being displayed, but i have already done 2 oil changes myself since new, and we have 2 other sparks with the message on the display without any adverse effects.

i did try revving it up out of the water once, but i felt i might be causing more damage going that high while not under load. I can try again if it helps diagnosing it.

did you ever get this figured out? I'm having similar problems.

Thread Information