2001 Virage Tx MFI issue

I am having a problem with the MFI. It was intermittent for a little while but then went dead. I bought another one but it won't power up either. I have voltage at the power and the ground of the deutsch connector. What am I missing?

+1
    Are you measuring voltage open circuit (MFI disconnected) or with it connected? If you have a poor/corroded connection it will measure fine without a load. However, as soon as you apply a load (connect the display) all or near all the voltage will drop across the poor connection(s).

Use a fine dental probe or some sewing needles to reach into the plug, when connected, from the back side, between the wire and sealing boot, to make contact with the terminal itself.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Rebel View Post
    I am having a problem with the MFI. It was intermittent for a little while but then went dead. I bought another one but it won't power up either. I have voltage at the power and the ground of the deutsch connector. What am I missing?
    Inspect the Deutsch pins and individual wire crimps. It is easy to pop out the plastic retainer, then you can see the pins and pull them out for closer look.

Should be near zero corrosion on the pins and the wires should not be damaged, especially where they are crimped to the pin.

Also remove and ohm check the fuse in the electrical box (zero ohms). Again, should be no corrosion in the electrical box.

Thanks y'all. I must have a loose ground. Voltage drops down to around 3 volts when connected to the MFI. All connections in the electrical box and in the Duetch connector look great so I'm gonna have to keep trying to find the problem. Probably a bad ground I'm guessing.

+1
    You could also look for a small hole in the wire insulation. Once there is a hole for water to get in they can corrode apart.

+1
    Check the voltage at the 1/4 amp fuse for the MFI, with the fuse installed and the MFI connected. If the voltage is OK on both sides of the fuse, then your problem is between the fuse and the MFI.

If the voltage is only the 3 volts you reported or thereabouts, your problem is before the fuse. You can access a wiring diagram here. Ignore the adult content warning.

Got it fixed everyone. The wire was broken for the power to the mfi right outside the electrical box. Slight puncture with a corroded wire. Thanks for all the help!

Thread Information