Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonads3137 View Post
    Hey jpt,

The previous owner installed the impeller & nose cone. So I don't know what pitch it is...but even with this impeller last season I was getting higher RPMs, why would it drop in RPMs when nothing has changed.

I'm reading a lot of mixed opinions about the nose cone. A lot of people are saying to just take it off and run without it. Then I read some people saying to just use the OEM seal.

Do you have an opinion to fix it?

Sorry, this is my first ski, trying to find the best option.

Thanks for your help!
    -G
    I have run without a nose cone for many years.

Do a search for WATCON or impeller pitch gauge. You can always send it to Impros or Skat (Glen at Skat does great work on Solas impellers) and have it checked and re-pitched as required. Worth the investment....maybe $150.

I stand by my 13/18 pitch recommendation for a GTX 185. Replace the wear ring after you get the impeller pitch correct.

Your rpms will drop with a loose "unscrewed" nose cone BIG TIME. Once you get this apart look at the front lip of the nose cone, if it is worn unevenly your engine-drive shaft-pump is most likely out of alignment. IF so, check engine motor mounts, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I have run without a nose cone for many years.

Do a search for WATCON or impeller pitch gauge. You can always send it to Impros or Skat (Glen at Skat does great work on Solas impellers) and have it checked and re-pitched as required. Worth the investment....maybe $150.

I stand by my 13/18 pitch recommendation for a GTX 185. Replace the wear ring after you get the impeller pitch correct.

Your rpms will drop with a loose "unscrewed" nose cone BIG TIME. Once you get this apart look at the front lip of the nose cone, if it is worn unevenly your engine-drive shaft-pump is most likely out of alignment. IF so, check engine motor mounts, etc, etc.
    thanks for all the info. I have been wondering if I can take the nose cone off,sounds like its ok,i took my gtx out after putting a new wear ring in the pump,i also noticed the bottom needed some work,(my fifteen year old boy has been riding it)so I fixed it with some gelcoat.the ski still runs 7400rpm on a somewhat long run,i see 7500rpm's every so often.but for the most part it will go to 7200rpm & start climbing to 7400rpm.still good out of the hole,the stock 12/20 would hit the limiter out of the hole alittle & would see 7600rpm's easy.i use the speedo on the dash only as a reference,both impellors show the same MPH 61-62.thinking of buying the gps upgrade for the speedo if they work good????

13/18

was wondering if i could mess with the stock impellor & repitch it.i have a pitch gauge.

+1
    Chances are it will need a repair.....wear ring and have the impeller pitched to a 13/18...

I reccomend Stat-trak...Impros does not answer the phone this time of year....is what I have noticed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information