Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and tips. Yesterday I followed your suggestions and the shop manual, buzzed out as much as I could and after about 3-4 hours and nothing found....I gave up. I miss the days of 2-stroke, non efi, non ECM controlled skis. I'm not ready to drop $800 on BUDS software only to find out I need an $1,000 ECM.

This time, it goes to the shop and my better half can have her parking spot in the garage back. I'll update this thread after the shop diagnosis the problem next week. Praying for a simple fix......but won't hold my breath.

Sure itís detecting the lanyard?Symptoms sound like the same on my 06... was a bad post.

+1
    I'm confidant it's acknowledging the lanyard. I install the lanyard and get two beeps (good to start). I can hear the fuel pump energize, dash displays all good, then push the start button and it beeps 4x fast (bad) and throws the P0617 code.

About 2 weeks ago I dropped it off at the dealer for diagnosis. I've been talking to the tech and he has not been able to figure it out either. He's opened a support case with BRP and I'm waiting to hear the results. Currently suspecting the sealed cable bundle on the back of the MPEM but don't want to crack the seal without direction from BRP.

+1
    So, after 4 weeks at the dealer, they have been unable to fix the problem. They replaced the starter solenoid and it started once, twice then threw the P0617 code again. The mechanic is very frustrated, he got no help from BRP, only a description of what the code means...duh! Been reading other threads and there seems to be a possibility of a short somewhere between the MPEM and ECM B connector or some bad pins. This ski only has 60 hours on it, was garage kept and dealer maintained every season. Inside the hull is spotless. I can't stand when computers get in the way of mechanical things. Never had this crap on my old 2-strokes.

Question: If I buy a new/used ECM with matching keys, do I need anything else? Dash console? Programming? I found one on Ebay for an okay price but want to make sure nothing else is needed. Probably need new cable harness between MPEM and ECU. Selling this POS after I get it fixed. Going back to Yamaha.

+1
    Disconnect the starter relay activation wires and try to start it (obviously it wont engage the motor) - see if the code pops. You could then jump the relay to the battery and see if it cranks - Key in of course.

Sounds like a PITA

Good luck.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks, interesting test. I'm guessing this will remove the "solenoid and beyond" from the ECM pre-check? I'll mention it to the mechanic working on it. The engine does crank when jumping the solenoid. Wonder if it will start and run with the key on and jumping the solenoid.

Spoke with the mechanic yesterday, he's got it to start a few times. Even called me to come pick it up but he would check one last time and it would throw the code again. He's very frustrated. I made the suggestion he wiggle wire harnesses, push down on ECM connectors when starting, check primary & secondary coils for shorts.

Someone mentioned the key post could be an issue. I'd like to understand that more...how etc? The fast key sometimes doesn't make good contact (4-beeps) and the learner key has never worked.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondski View Post
    Sure it’s detecting the lanyard?Symptoms sound like the same on my 06... was a bad post.
    Thanks Bondski, can you describe your symptoms? How was the post bad?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SMLaker View Post
    Duhhh, is this the starter relay? Or is it on the side (yellow star)
    BTW, the one on the side is the T.O.P.S (Tip Over Position Sensor). Sounded broken but I guess it's got little BB's in it that make contact when it's upside-down. Would the ski throw a different code if that was "stuck closed"? Can I unplug it and try to start the ski?

+1
    So, after 1 month at the shop I finally went to pick it up. I appreciate the time they spent on it (2-hours labor) but in the end, nothing was identified as the cause. Due to PFM (pure farkin magic), the ski now starts every time. Both keys work fine and I'm at a loss for describing any fix. I did speak to another mechanic outside of this shop and he said he would have most likely replaced the engine harness and/or the ECM. Lucky I guess that we didn't have to go down that road...yet.... I suspect the problem will return one day when I least expect it and at the most inopportune time. I'll update this thread if and when. Cross your fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by SMLaker View Post
    Thanks Bondski, can you describe your symptoms? How was the post bad?
    On my key post, I didnít cut it apart to look at why yet. Terminal posts were clean with no apparent wiring issues. But when key was connected I was getting 4 beeps, could hear fuel pump turn on, but wouldnít crank at all. Thought it was a starter solenoid at first, but bypassed solenoid and it cranked over. Guy down the street had a new one, we installed and keys detected with zero issue since then.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information