Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark#1962 View Post
    I thought you could only remove the PTO off the later models, 2016 onwards?
    How can you remove the PTO when it is part of the crankshaft?
    I would love to know how this can be done?
    The 14/15 PTO are sweat onto the crank. You can heat them up and press them off relatively easily. I have a video of this being done that I uploaded to Facebook.

Jetshed in the uk make replacement PTO’s for 14/15 cranks that you sweat back on.

You're a Champion mate!!
    How can I get hold of the video?
    Can you upload it on YouTube or send me the link if I send you my email address?
    If you uploaded the video on YouTube, I reckon you would get plenty of hits, there's that many 2014/15 Spark owners out there with stripped PTO's that are looking for a fix!!
    Welding the driveshaft inside the PTO sounds a bit drastic!!
    If JETSHED advertised the PTO's on Ebay, they would sell like hot cakes!!
    People would buy them even if their PTO isn't stripped, so they would have a fix if anything happens in the future!!
    I think we may have opened a can of worms here mate, BRP couldn't offer a fix & thanks to you we've finally found one!!
    Last edited by Spark#1962; 12-18-2018 at 08:10 AM.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I have seen the video, and jet shed are a legendary U.K. race ski builder in the north east (rother valley jet shed is the full name)

https://www.rothervalleyjetshed.com/

I'm so envious mate, I wish I lived in the U.K. but unfortunately for me, I live in Australia!
    I thought there may have been a slim chance of removing the PTO from the crank while it was still in the ski but I wasn't thinking clearly.
    My plan was, to see if I could get a PTO from Jet Shed shipped over to Australia & remove the stripped one while it was still in the ski & press the new one on.
    I got that carried away with finally finding a fix, that I wasn't thinking straight.
    The only way I'd have any hope of removing the PTO while it's still in the ski, is if it had the 2016 crank with the screw on PTO.
    BRP obviously has had a number of ski's with this problem, for them to go & change the PTO into a screw on one in the later models & I think it's an absolute disgrace, they didn't do a recall on them or at the very least, supply a new upgraded crank with the screw on PTO free of charge if it fails!
    It should be covered regardless whether the ski is still under warranty or not especially if they didn't get the eng alignment right when they installed it!
    It looks like I'm back to the drawing board again, I'm open to any suggestions but the last thing I want to do is, weld the shaft inside the PTO ... I'm not that desperate ... Yet!!

I wonder if it would be possible to cut the end of the PTO off where the driveshaft goes in, back to the end of the coupling & get Jet Shed to manufacture another PTO with a bigger diameter coupling that will fit over the end of the old one & then sweat the new one on?
    You could heat the PTO up outside the ski before pressing it on?
    I'm just trying to come up with an alternative to removing the crank, I bet if I was in china they could find a fix although it probably wouldn't last very long!
    Last edited by Spark#1962; 12-18-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Another thought is, cut the end of the PTO off where the driveshaft goes in & cut the end off a new PTO & weld it onto the coupling of the old PTO?
    This way you would still be able to remove the driveshaft which would surely be better than welding the driveshaft inside the PTO & you wouldn't have to remove the crank.
    Has anyone else got any ideas, I'm sure there's a lot of desperate Spark owners out there like me who are willing to try just about anything including welding the driveshaft inside the PTO especially if it means Not having to remove the crank!!
    Last edited by Spark#1962; 12-20-2018 at 04:47 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark#1962 View Post
    I'm so envious mate, I wish I lived in the U.K. but unfortunately for me, I live in Australia!
    Not sure you are thinking that through properly......

Either way crank has to come out, so it’s either a full rebuild or buy a later ski/motor keep an eye out for a wreck spark with good motor or bite the bullet order the parts watch the video and fix it like jetshed do (surprised the big doo dealer in AUS les Cooke? doesn’t have a similar solution to jet shed)

With so many stripped PTO's, I can't believe BRP won't cover them especially after changing the PTO to a screw on type on the 2016 models & later!!
    That's definitely an admission somethings wrong!!
    Last edited by Spark#1962; 12-20-2018 at 04:49 AM.

+1
    On the late model sparks cranks gets locked in place and use the tool to remove it, if cranks is older style then engine needs to be taken apart . You must co firm why this happen ??? Did the boot brake and allow water in it is the engine out of alignment or has shifted during normal use or abused. All the Spark and gti Iíve done have had engine moved and just a few had a defective boot every time
    Brp paid even as goodwill.

Did BRP cover them out of warranty? or were they still under warranty?
    I've heard that Jet Shed in the UK can remove the PTO off the 2014/15 Sparks without removing the crank!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information