Newbie starting the performance upgrade process

All,

Thanks in advance for all of your advice/knowledge/experience on this site. Iím a new owner of a 2016 Yamaha 190 FSH (1.8 HO) and want to being increasing the performance of it (specifically in the holeshot while pulling). It seems the consensus is beginning with ribbon delete. Can someone point me in the the right direction on which kit to purchase?

Also, the attached photo is my current OEM impeller. Since Iím new to jet boats in general, Iíd like to get an idea if it would be suggested that I have it sent in for rework. I know itís difficult to tell from one picture, but I donít have much of a reference being a recovering outboard guy.

Thanks and I look forward to contributing to this group!

Paxton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91949AB0-E4ED-4F13-B676-7F6C6AE0F6E9.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	437126  

+1
    Welcome aboard, Paxton!

This is the Boat section of the forum, where Yamaha Boats are discussed--not Waverunners. I would suggest that you ask a moderator to move this thread to the appropriate section so you will get some answers.

EDIT: Oops! My bad! I got my Yamaha abbreviations mixed up. This is one of the center console fishing boats. Sorry about that!
    Last edited by steve45; 07-29-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Newbie starting the performance upgrade process

Was going to say something but I had the engine mixed up with the supercharged one. Sorry.
    Last edited by secret camp no. 5; 07-27-2018 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Wrong engine info

Welcome onboard Paxton,

For the ribbon delete, you don't actually need a kit, unless you want to use the sleeve. You can simply remove the ribbon and the rubber retainer altogether and be done with it. The retainer ring is used to basically port match the throttle body to the intake manifold. There are discussions in several threads about the merits of using the retainer ring or not. Green hulk has several to choose from on the parts side of the website, and most run about $35.

For the 1.8 HO there are relatively few modifications that you can do that will significantly affect the operation of your boat. The RPM limit is going to be the largest limiting factor. For holeshot, having more RPM is going to give a huge change. While the ribbon delete will have a small beneficial effect as far as throttle response and a peak RPM increase, I don't think the exhaust will help much. You can play around with the pump cone, a lot of people have had good results with the Lucky 13 cone taming cavitation. Some people have blueprinted their pump tunnel also.

The single biggest improvement you can make is going be an ECU tune. Launching at 7500 RPM is going to pale in comparison to launching at 8000rpm, and top end should be several MPH higher. The downside is that it is a bit more expensive if you just want more speed. But there is a lot more that you can do than just speed, there are improvements to fuel economy, diagnostics, and valet mode that I think help justify the cost. Depending on if you get a tuning module or a reprogrammed ECU, will determine how much you ultimately spend. I myself went with a Maptuner X, and I have had great results. Although I have a supercharged boat, naturally aspirated boats still benefit greatly.

Congratulations on your new boat, and happy modding!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Paxton1977 View Post
    ... new owner of a 2016 Yamaha 190 FSH (1.8 HO) and want to being increasing the performance of it (specifically in the holeshot while pulling)...

... my current OEM impeller. Since Iím new to jet boats in general, Iíd like to get an idea if it would be suggested that I have it sent in for rework. I know itís difficult to tell from one picture ...
    Pulling what?

Have you used the boat much yet?

Does it cavitate (hit rev limiter quickly a few times) when accelerating hard from idle or low speed?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16_FSH190_Deluxe_1D_3385_l.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	438085  

Thread Information