Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1996 Polaris SLT 700 questions

Good morning all, first time posting here. I just picked up a 1996 SLT 700 today and I knew it had a few issues when I got it Iím trying to figure out. It seems the line from the oil tank to the oil filter is leaking slightly and Iíd like to get it fixed since itís oil injected and I have read the horror stories on here but I canít seem to find the hose sizing. I wanted to take it out today but wanted to tackle the hose before hand or premix as a precaution till I fix the hose. Also I was told when I got it that it will randomly just straight up die as if the kill switch was pulled. I was thinking maybe the kill switch is bad and needs to be replaced? Itís completely random when it shuts off. However itís always immediately restarts. Thanks!

+1
    If it's the same as the Genesis it's 3mm hose, but I've read on here that 3mm is very hard to find.

That’s what I was fearing. I’ll hopefully be able to find one online. I went and had my mechanic look at it he doesn’t think it’s leaking believes it was a spill from them filling. But I’d rather just replace all hoses you know? Fuel lines are new. Carbs were just rebuilt. Plugs were changed so I was told. But I’ll probably put new ones in. I want to figure out the random shutting off though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
    Also I was told when I got it that it will randomly just straight up die as if the kill switch was pulled. I was thinking maybe the kill switch is bad and needs to be replaced? It’s completely random when it shuts off. However it’s always immediately restarts. Thanks!
    Check the kill switch, but pay attention when I happens - I was riding a certain way that caused me to bump the kill switch which was sensitive enough to kill the motor. Just a thought.

So went to take it out today after cleaning it all up a bit. Got it off the trailer and started it in the water. Ran for a solid 20 seconds then shut off. Couldn’t get it going again. All I’m getting is a click and whirling noise front he black box above the battery. The fuse and starter relay box I believe? Tried multiple different occasions would not start always just a click and then nothing. Something a click and whirl noise from the box.

+1
    Sounds like the battery is low. How many volts at battery when cranking ?

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    ill check tomorrow when I'm out of work. Its a new battery about a month old and the previous owner never charged it. So it should be fine correct? New to PWC's so not sure if they need to be charged or not on a new bat.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    just checked it a few minutes ago so nothing on the battery is at 12.57 not cranking.

+1
    Loose or dirty connections ?
    Your problem was when cranking,kinda would make sense to test it then.

+1
    Can you turn the motor by hand by grasping the drive coupler?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information