1996 sltx 1050 dead in water

Hey there, I am new to Polaris skis and new to the forum.

A few weeks ago picked up a nice running good condition Ď96 sltx 1050. First 6 or so times out ran great, no issues. Battery was getting weak and old so threw a new sealed battery in and everything was good.

rode last weekend and everything was good until went to leave to go back to trailer. Pushed start button and nada...no tired battery, crank, mfd life, nothing. Thought I had loose battery connection so wiggled the positive and it fired up. Got home and tighter everything down and next day went out again and started first time rode a while and stopped for rest, went to start and zippo, nothing again. This time battery trick did not work.

got it home and started to do the tests. Thought I zeroed Iím on bad starter solenoid. Just put a brand new rm stator solenoid in and same thing. I am getting voltage across to the circuit board but cannot figure what else it could be.

i donít think the ignition upgrades have been done, but not certain that would prevent it from even making a starting noise???

can anyone help me with a place to start? I did the starter and kill switch tests and they seem to be ok.

i am not sure 600 hundred in new parts is worth fixing a this thing.

thanks,

john

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyh417 View Post
    Hey there, I am new to Polaris skis and new to the forum.

A few weeks ago picked up a nice running good condition Ď96 sltx 1050. First 6 or so times out ran great, no issues. Battery was getting weak and old so threw a new sealed battery in and everything was good.

rode last weekend and everything was good until went to leave to go back to trailer. Pushed start button and nada...no tired battery, crank, mfd life, nothing. Thought I had loose battery connection so wiggled the positive and it fired up. Got home and tighter everything down and next day went out again and started first time rode a while and stopped for rest, went to start and zippo, nothing again. This time battery trick did not work.

got it home and started to do the tests. Thought I zeroed Iím on bad starter solenoid. Just put a brand new rm stator solenoid in and same thing. I am getting voltage across to the circuit board but cannot figure what else it could be.

i donít think the ignition upgrades have been done, but not certain that would prevent it from even making a starting noise???

can anyone help me with a place to start? I did the starter and kill switch tests and they seem to be ok.

i am not sure 600 hundred in new parts is worth fixing a this thing.

thanks,

john
    Welcome

Have you removed and cleaned the engine ground end of the battery negative cable, the bolt and the engine where it connects?

Are you talking about the start solenoid in the electrical box or the magneto stator inside the engine flywheel housing?

Sometimes the white Reset button (actually a circuit breaker) can go bad. All the electrical power for the system goes through the circuit breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Have you removed and cleaned the engine ground end of the battery negative cable, the bolt and the engine where it connects?

Are you talking about the start solenoid in the electrical box or the magneto stator inside the engine flywheel housing?

Sometimes the white Reset button (actually a circuit breaker) can go bad. All the electrical power for the system goes through the circuit breaker.
    Thanks for your reply! I have not tried the ground yet. Can you get to it without taking off the exhaust?

yes the starter solenoid is new. I tested voltage before and after the breaker and they were the same. About 6 v dc. I expected to see 12 ish, but wasnít sure since I could not jump the starter solenoid. Also, I was just out messing around and the battery voltage was down to 10 volts. Put in one from other ski tested at 12.7 before I installed it and it clicked then dies again. Could something be causing battery drain? The mfd was flashing all 8í s before it died with second battery

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyh417 View Post
    Thanks for your reply! I have not tried the ground yet. Can you get to it without taking off the exhaust?

yes the starter solenoid is new. I tested voltage before and after the breaker and they were the same. About 6 v dc. I expected to see 12 ish, but wasnít sure since I could not jump the starter solenoid. Also, I was just out messing around and the battery voltage was down to 10 volts. Put in one from other ski tested at 12.7 before I installed it and it clicked then dies again. Could something be causing battery drain? The mfd was flashing all 8í s before it died with second battery
    Something is not correct, obviously. The electrical system is 12 volts, regardless of whether the engine is cranking or not.

How you measure the voltages matters. The black meter probe is normally touched to the black wire group in the electrical box, then the red probe gets moved around as you check things.

BUT, when a Ďbad groundí is possible/suspected, then you must FIRST check the grounding stuff. Until you know the grounds are actually good, all the other voltage measurements donít matter much.

Connect battery. Make sure the electrical box shall does not touch the battery posts, at all.

Put black meter probe directly on negative battery post. Not the cable end or the bolt, the actual battery post. Keep it there. Put the red meter probe on the black wire terminal group inside the electrical box. Meter should show zero volts or very close to zero. Even 1.0 volt is way too much delta between electrical box ground and battery negative post.

While watching the meter, press Start. Voltage delta should stay very low. If it jumps up, there is a grounding problem.

K447,

I just went out and tried the tests for the ground. All seemed to read 0 volts,, even when i hit start button, did not move at all.

Also, I tried jumping the starter solenoid to see if i can get some starter movement. I used a small screw driver to bridge the posts and only a small spark - no starter engagement.

Lastly, the MFD was displaying all 88888888's so I tried doing reset procedure i found on the forum. Idid not have 14 volts on battery so would not work. I removed MFD plug from rear of the display and let it set for a few minutes and reattached. That reset the MFD to the normal operating display - i could even see fuel level, but had a LoPwr error. So i removed battery and put on 2 A charger.

Could a weak battery really make this thing dead like this?

Appreciate any other suggestions.

thanks,

John

Thread Information