Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Need a head for 2016 fx svho 6ET motor

any suggestions for where to get a new head to replace my cracked one? not doing the work myself, but sourcing the parts.

Which gaskets/parts/fasteners can I reuse, which do I have to replace?

Thanks for any advice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speeder View Post
    any suggestions for where to get a new head to replace my cracked one? not doing the work myself, but sourcing the parts.

Which gaskets/parts/fasteners can I reuse, which do I have to replace?

Thanks for any advice.

Head gasket. Cylinder head bolts. Thermostat gasket. Timing chain tensioner gasket.

If your getting a second hamd head. You will need it checked over as in valves and possibly cracked tested and skimmed.

Are u trying to buy just a bare cylinder head?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottpaige View Post
    Head gasket. Cylinder head bolts. Thermostat gasket. Timing chain tensioner gasket.

If your getting a second hamd head. You will need it checked over as in valves and possibly cracked tested and skimmed.

Are u trying to buy just a bare cylinder head?
    honestly, I'm not 100% sure if bare head vs complete head is better. I don't think I want to get one from a random person.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speeder View Post
    honestly, I'm not 100% sure if bare head vs complete head is better. I don't think I want to get one from a random person.
    Buying one with cams etc will make it more expensive. I bought one. Second hand in uk. Had no choice really limited. You will have more chance being that side of the water.

If you buy without cams. Yours will be able to be put into new head. But shims and clearances will have tp be checked correctly

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHC View Post
    Exactly where mine cracked.... only advise i got was to go with head studs instead of bolts and keep your fingers crossed from there hahaha
    haha. yeah. what a crazy situation.

so ARP studs instead of the bolts. Anything else I should change while I have the head off? I was thinking possibly retainers.

+1
    That just happened to me last fall. If you search, you can get a brand new bare head for $1,400 or less. That's the route I went and just reused all my old valve gear. You better look at your crank and rod bearings too since you have water in the oil.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fullboogie View Post
    That just happened to me last fall. If you search, you can get a brand new bare head for $1,400 or less. That's the route I went and just reused all my old valve gear. You better look at your crank and rod bearings too since you have water in the oil.
    Shity... Thanks for the advice. Do you recall where you were able to get that bare head for less than 1400? The cheapest I can find so far online is 1500 shipped from a yamaha dealer.

Is this an engine out operation or can it be done with engine in? Is it possible to inspect the crank and bearings without taking the entire engine apart?

Thanks.

Head can be swapped in the ski. You'll need a valve shim kit to set the valves once adjusted. Any head you buy must come with the camshaft retainer caps as they are matched to the head. The cam retainer bolts are also supposed to be discarded after usr according to the manual (will double check when I get back to my tablet). Getting the cam timing and chain on was tricky but the manual outlines it well. Could help out to rotate to number 1 tdc before removal to see where the timing marks all sit before you test the cams off.

Not much to see in the bottom end without a fill removal.and tear down even with the oil pan off the mains are once piece and hide everything.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Do not rule out the option of buying a used head, I bought one from a salvage yard that sells motorcycles and just happened to call just for shits and grins, long story short they had a gold mine in their hands, I paid $350.00 for it. I got it machined did a valve job and the only thing I replaced was the guides and the valve seals, I took a chance on it, but the machined shop pressure tested it before performing the work.

So I was about 650.00 into a fresh head.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    Do not rule out the option of buying a used head, I bought one from a salvage yard that sells motorcycles and just happened to call just for shits and grins, long story short they had a gold mine in their hands, I paid $350.00 for it. I got it machined did a valve job and the only thing I replaced was the guides and the valve seals, I took a chance on it, but the machined shop pressure tested it before performing the work.

So I was about 650.00 into a fresh head.
    Thanks.

I'mooming at the parts pricing and valve guides are 33 each and need 16...is that right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information