Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2010 Yamaha FZS Leaking water at the intake grate

So, I've owned my FZS since new and every time I'd go out I'd open up the drain plugs and nothing would come out. This season I'd open up the drain plugs and get a liter or so of water pouring out. I've read some forums to see what the diagnostics/problem could be. I've since run some hose water in the ski and noticed that some water was leaking out by the intake grate bolts. I have good mechanical ability but I haven't done much on my ski other than winterizing/changing oil/changing plugs. I saw on one thread someone sealed a similar leak with some 5200 so I was thinking of taking the intake grate bolts off and resealing with a glob of 5200. I also saw issues with the carbon seal... Not exactly sure what or where that is.
    I'd like to get some feedback from others that have experienced this problem and some guidance in the right direction.
    I do bay/ocean riding(salt water)
    Any help would be appreciated

Chris

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Carbon seal on the driveshaft through-hull is only a Seadoo thing, not Yamaha.

You may want to remove the intake grate entirely and rerun your water leak test to confirm where the water is seeping out.

The FZ hull/pump/grate mounting configuration is somewhat different from the GP1800 I have, but it is known that the factory sealant between the transom plate and the GP1800 hull can allow water to leak into the hull at speed.

Thanks for the quick reply!
    I did take the intake grate off, re-ran the test and found the water leaking from the impeller shaft. I tried tightening the rubber hose around the shaft and it seemed to leak out less, but the leak was still present... I'm thinking to take it down to the water and let it sit so I can watch where it's coming in from, this way I can make sure it's the hose and not the plastic plate glued to the through-hull. Seems like replacing that hose might be a tough job, but I did notice some youtube videos showing fixes on similar skis.

It was tough to take a good picture from upside down but you can see the stream of water coming down from the impeller shaft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Impeller Leak.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	436056  

+1
    I had the exact thing happen to me.....
    It is that your sealant under the metal plates where the intake grate bolts mount into the pump transom. Not sealed....

Remove and clean and reseal with 5200 or Ultra Black.....whatever you prefer.

Once I did mine, O water

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane1000 View Post
    I had the exact thing happen to me.....
    It is that your sealant under the metal plates where the intake grate bolts mount into the pump transom. Not sealed....

Remove and clean and reseal with 5200 or Ultra Black.....whatever you prefer.

Once I did mine, O water
    Leak usually has to be under pressure/speed.....

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Drain plugs make sure your oring is on both of them

Update:
    last season I removed the impeller shaft and replaced the hose seal between the manifold and the water box. I re-installed the intake grate and the ride plate using a dab of 4200 to help seal the bolts. These bolts aren’t through hull on the 2010 though, there are metal plugs in the hull which the bolts thread into. Which seemed to fix the issue. However, I went out yesterday and left the ski parked while tied up to some boats for a number of hours. I ended up opening the back to find about 6” of water in the bilge. I had to use a manual pump to get the water out because the bulge pump apparently needs to be replaced.
    so I’m back to square 1 with diagnosis. I did a quick leak test this morning and the water was leaking out the same spot. I’ll need to take the plate and intake grate off again to do a more thorough test.

+1
    Reseal the transom bolts to hull between the ride plate and grate and replace bilge pump...

Removed the Intake grate and re-did the leak test. Still seems to be leaking at the impeller shaft which I thought I fixed last year by replacing the rubber hose enclosing the impeller shaft.

I'm also planning to install this https://rivaracing.com/i-17285046-ri...%7Cmodel%3DFZS driveshaft sleeve kit which seems easier to install and probably seals better than the OEM rubber sleeve (OEM sleeve was a very tight fight and had to bend it a lot to get it on the manifolds).

Overall, if I install this driveshaft sleeve kit while applying black 5200 on the bolts... If I still have a leak then it has to be something with the driveshaft manifold not sealing properly. But I've ordered a new bilge pump and drain plugs so I'll at least be able to ride the rest of the season... I just won't be able to keep the ski in the water for too long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4062.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	451196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4063.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	451197   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4064.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	451198  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information