+1

RXP300 Flaking paint on valve cover

Picked up a 2016 RXP300 with 5 hours on it. The valve cover is flaking the previous owner attempted to get his dealer to change it, they stated it is normal wear. Any one else counter this? The ski was a fresh water ski, although the previous owner never sprayed any anti corrosion spay on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3288.jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	435969  

+1
    No way that damage happened on a fresh water ski with only 5 hours on it. Something doesn’t add up. Water gets into the seat and drips on the valve cover but fresh water wouldn’t do that and surely not with only 5 hours on it. Salt water would do that but it would take some time even at that. I’ve never seen one so bad...any other areas on the motor like that? Look down by the oil filter container and supercharger cover. I would pull the hose from the charger and inspect the blades and see if there is a bunch of corrosion and pull the hose from the charger to IC and inspect that area as well. I also noticed some rust around some of the fasteners holding the fuel rail down. By the way ecu can be replaced with low hour ecu....just saying.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
    No way that damage happened on a fresh water ski with only 5 hours on it. Something doesn’t add up. Water gets into the seat and drips on the valve cover but fresh water wouldn’t do that and surely not with only 5 hours on it. Salt water would do that but it would take some time even at that. I’ve never seen one so bad...any other areas on the motor like that? Look down by the oil filter container and supercharger cover. I would pull the hose from the charger and inspect the blades and see if there is a bunch of corrosion and pull the hose from the charger to IC and inspect that area as well. I also noticed some rust around some of the fasteners holding the fuel rail down. By the way ecu can be replaced with low hour ecu....just saying.
    That was the same I was thinking when I first the engine bay. The ski is flawless other than the engine bay. The hull still has the new paper manufacture stickers on it and the pump and wear ring look flawless. The ski just has the impeller recall done. The guy bought the ski uses it around Orlando twice and let it ski with the seat on for almost 1.5 years. By the looks of the paint flake it was minimum in brackish water and did not rinse the bay. I checked the intercooler and it looks good. The block does have minor paint flake

+1
    There is a vin on the front of the engine, I wonder if you could confirm that is the original engine that should be in that ski. Dealer would probably need to do that. Did you run the vin with the dealer and check the history? Hope you at least changed the oil and the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by redbarron View Post
    Picked up a 2016 RXP300 with 5 hours on it. The valve cover is flaking the previous owner attempted to get his dealer to change it, they stated it is normal wear. Any one else counter this? The ski was a fresh water ski, although the previous owner never sprayed any anti corrosion spay on it.
    SAME WITH MINE.

Mine has 48 hours on it but it's brand new. Like same hours in salt water, i experience flaking of paint. I cleaned the ski every after use. My suspicion is, the water gets in from under the seats holes while riding. It keeps dripping inside while the engine is hot and in use. The ski until now has no problem, it's just a valve cover, you can remove it and paint it with heat resistant paint. And cover the holes under the seat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200327_154325.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	459636  

Thread Information