Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1998 STX 1100 - Oil in the bilge

I have a 1998 Kawasaki 1100 STX that has a 3 cylinder 2 cycle oil injected engine. I have noticed and cleaned up oil in the bottom of the bilge and I'm convinced it is the oil is the oil that is injected not that there is any other type of oil it could be. In looking and feeling around, I can not find the source of any leak around the oil tank, oil pump or hoses. What I can't tell is if there is a leak where the oil lines go into the carbs because I just can't get in there to see or feel around.

I did put a blown up balloon over the oil fill to see if it would hole pressure and it seemed fine. Maybe the balloon didn't have enough pressure but the oil is thin and it seemed to hole the pressure fine as fas as I could tell.

What I don't know is how the oil got there and how etc. It could have been spilled last year or it could leak when sitting or it could leak when running. I will note that the tank was 3/4 full from last year and I haven't added any oil this year so there is no major leak that drains the tank dry.

What I have done and plan to do are the following.

I cleaned up all the oil the best I could and I'm going to see if more shows up just sitting on the trailer. I have the front down as low as I can so any oil under the engine will flow forward and I can clean it up and see if more shows up. I did add oil to the gas at ~50:1 so I know the engine will have oil and I plan to run it and look for leaks when I run it. At least this way the engine should have oil but if everything is working it could be getting 2X the oil as normal.

Any other advice or things to check and look out for? Any common problems with this model that others have diagnosed that could cause this?

Thanks,
    Doug

+1
    Pull the flame arrestor to get access to the lines at the carbs. How old are the lines ? If they are anymore than 2 or 3 years old, I would seriously think about replacing them.

Assuming I replace the lines between the pump and carbs, what do you do to bleed them? Maybe I would be OK since I put oil in the gas anyway....

Doug

+1
    Go to your local pharmacy and get a syringe that's used to administering drops to babies. They have a plastic tip that's about 1/8" diameter that will fit into the oil lines. Pre-fill the hoses before you install them on the pump and carb nipples. Use polyurethane hose, 1/8" ID. Secure with 2 wraps of .025" stainless steel safety wire and twist the ends together.

Would Autozone likely carry right tubing that I could use for the oil lines and would they have the stainless steel safety wire? I assume if the tubing is good for gas, it would be safe to use for oil but I wanted to be sure...

Thanks,
    Doug

Would this be the right hind of hose to use?

Thanks,
    Doug

Premium Clear High Performance Gas Oil Injection Fuel Line Hose Pulse Tubing for 1/8" Fittings

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Perfo...70_&dpSrc=srch

+1
    That hose should work. You want clear so you can see if it's full when you're bleeding it. Some of the ACE hardware stores carry polyurethane hose. 7/32" ID will work, too.

You can probably get the safety wire at your local small airport. 5 feet will last for several engines. It's sold by the pound and a mechanic will probably give you some if you buy them a Coke.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Wow I haven't heard "buy them a Coke" in MANY moons. I'm in Florida since '87, they don't say that down here. Good to hear that though from a fellow Texan, reminds me of my ancestral home.

+1
    Well, in that case, buy them a 'pop', or a beer!

Actually, I've thought about making up little kits to send out, but I really don't have the time. A one pound spool of safety wire will probably do a hundred JetSkis.

I believe I have the oil leak fixed. I have used it twice now with no signs of leaking oil. I do have two more unrelated questions though.

1) The engine will not start cold unless we put gas in either the carbs or cylinders. Once its starts it's good for the day but the next day it will not start without adding gas to the cylinders or carbs. The choke is closing all the way and we even put a primer bulb in but the only thing that works in putting gas in the cyls/carbs. It has been this way since new and the dealer could never fix it. Any ideas?

2) The gas gauge no longer works. Is there a common problem to look for on this?

Thanks for the help!

DB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information