Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Too much water in GP1800?

I heard a lot about the intake grate reinforcement and was wondering if u guys get any water in your ski after your done?

Should I investigate?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5685.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	435177

Is it too late to take it to a dealer? What do I do?
    Last edited by K447; 06-22-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, it is not hard to unbolt the intake grate (five bolts) and have a look-see under the hull, around the rear bolt holes into the hull.

How quickly is the water coming in? A few cupfuls per hour of riding?

My initial guess would be that the water is only coming in at speed, and accumulating inside the hull fairly slowly.

It is fairly common for the factory sealant between the transom plate and the hull to seep water into the hull via the hull transom holes for the water hoses. Two hose fittings on on left side of pump tunnel, one on the right side.

The factory sealant does not fail completely, it just allows water to seep between the sealant and the hull surface, upwards from the water flow path through the jet pump. The jet pump inlet area is only pressurized at speed, so almost no leaking at slow speeds.

Thee are other possibilities of course. Take the time to check tightness and correct positioning of every hose clamp inside the hull, including the two clamps for the driveshaft tube.

+1
    Like K447 said for sure. and the drive shaft sleeve and where the lines come thru to the rear transom. One member on here had a go pro record while he was riding and those are the two places that water was coming in. I think in my case it may have been transom or a combination.
    Last edited by DaveMD13; 06-23-2018 at 06:46 AM.

+1
    that looks like a small amount

tighten the clamps right there at the center tube

Looks normal to me... I always have those same little puddles in the back of the hull... I usually take a sponge or rag and just get the water out that way...

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JMHFL View Post
    Looks normal to me... I always have those same little puddles in the back of the hull...
    A modern PWC should be complete dry inside after a ride. Unless you are stuffing the nose into waves and otherwise dousing the upper deck, there just doesn’t have to be any water seeping in.

On the Yamaha the factory sealant for the transom plate is a primary path for water seepage. This can be corrected by removing and resealing the transom plate.

Sometimes a hose clamp (or several) are not quite as tight as they should be. Also quite fixable.

We have two GP1800. Both of them when new had mild water seepage after a ride, a few cupfuls, give or take. I removed and resealed the transom plates, checked and snugged all the hose clamps. No more water in the rear bilge after a ride.

Sometimes the GP1800 front hood seal is not 100% when punching through waves. Some dampness can occur in the front storage area, so we air dry it after riding. I might adjust the hood hinge to increase the clamping force on the rubber hood seal.

7. +1 by:

+1
    I always have some in the back of the hull. And another guy that rides with me does also

9. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Mmafighter View Post
    I always have some in the back of the hull. And another guy that rides with me does also
    Like the same amount as me? Should I take it in the dealer they told me 7-10 days lol

+1
    That really does not look like a lot. Me and another guy usually have about a half an inch or so.

12. +1 by:

+1
    That's nothing for water

14. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information