Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Any fiberglass gelcoat experts out there?

How hard of a repair would this be? I received the ski this way and what I think happened is the pump bearings let go and the impeller carved itself into the water tunnel a little bit. When I pulled of the wear ring housing it also took some gelcoat with it as evident in the picture. I would like to consider myself pretty handy, but have never attempted fiberglass and gel coat repair. I guess there is a first time for everything. Right? If anyone could give me their input at what i'm looking at, it would be much appreciated.

PS:So far the DIY videos I have found on youtube haven't been great. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1750.JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	435113  

+1
    If i had that one on my hands i would find a different hull to swap that engine and electronics into. Repairing the fiberglass and gelcoat is only 50% of the battle on that one, since the surface that the pump or pump shoe mounts too has been damaged there is the work of getting the driveline all properly aligned now. Engine alignments aren't bad, but there are a lot of threads about pump shoe alignment and it's something that I avoid.
    What year and model is it? Most Seadoo years and models there are hulls or whole broken skis available for almost nothing, i have parted out a lot of skis and i have set a dozen hulls out for the garbage man that could have been used to fix this ski... If i were you up in Michigan i would contact Nick at Westside powersports and he may have a hull for you.

+1
    I received this jet ski for free (Tigershark Daytona 1000) last year. I got it running for about $300 in parts, however I had major cavitation issues when trying to get on plan because of a worn wear ring and impeller. Now that the jet ski is running well (54mph with a worn wear ring), I decided to invest in a new wear ring and impeller. When removing the wear ring it took part of the gelcoat with it and that's when I saw the damage from the impeller on the upper tunnel. Unfortunately finding a replacement hull will be difficult, there isn't many of these ski's around. I'm not concerned about a cosmetically perfect repair either, i'm more concerned about functionality.

+1
    I'd say skip the gel-coat & get some west system epoxy & some fairing filler. coat it, sand it to where it used to be put it back together & run it.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Yup. Fill it, sand it flat, drill the holes, bolt it back together and run it. Donít put too much money into a $300 ski.

+1
    Exactly! Thanks! For someone who is noob with this stuff, how easy is it to work with the West System products? Would I feather back the gelcoat that is left and then apply the epoxy. Once the epoxy dries, sand it the best that I can and then use the filler to smooth it out. Is that pretty much the process in a nutshell?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dan87951 View Post
    Exactly! Thanks! For someone who is noob with this stuff, how easy is it to work with the West System products? Would I feather back the gelcoat that is left and then apply the epoxy. Once the epoxy dries, sand it the best that I can and then use the filler to smooth it out. Is that pretty much the process in a nutshell?
    Filler is added to the epoxy mix. add until thick as peanut butter, let cure, sand. make sure its bone dry before you start, remove anything loose, clean with acetone to be sure to get a good bond.

+1
    No gelcoat needed. Either polyester resin or epoxy. Use mat or filler to build back up. You can lay a piece of wax paper over the area after laying down the mix and bolt the ride shoe back against hull to make a form fit. After it sets up then peel off wax paper. Fill an any low spots and you are close to being fixed without a ton of grinding. Do the repairs in patches. Dont try to fill the whole area at once, if not familiar with using the stuff. I usually mix only two ounces of polyester resin at a time when doing repairs. Then build up in layers as the resin sets up.

+1
    Thanks Seadoo timebomb for the tips!

+1
    That was good advice. Learned something myself lol. Do what he said and run the hell out of it.

Also read up on piston wash and make sure your not running lean. You'll burn it up quick if them carbs aren't right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information