Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

PDX Airport to Bonneville Dam Ride

Its about that time to start planning the PDX to Bonneville Dam ride.

Expected Ride Date:
    Saturday June 23, 2018
    TIME:
    Meeting @ 9:30am at the Dock

Departing at 10:30am

Departing Location:
    M. James Gleason Memorial Boat Ramp
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Address:
    4325 NE Marine Dr, Portland, OR 97211
    [/COLOR]

Distance:
    total miles there and back is ruffly 73 miles
    this means you will need an extra can of fuel if you are on a supercharged ski or a seadoo spark. but each would have to make that call to carry fuel or not.

Fuel Stop:
    The Port of Camas-Washougal
    they carry 89 Unleaded and the current rate is $4.64 per gallon
    it is self serve. meaning 24 hours open to fuel. Per Marina Rep!

the distance from this fuel station up to the dam is 24 miles. (one way)
    so if you fill up there you should have enough to make it back to the station to cap off Again on the return trip. if needed.

PLAN B ride if Original has weather issues.
    Cascade Locks to ether Hood River or to The Dalles.
    Ride Miles to The Dalles : 43 miles (one way)
    The Dalles Yacht Club has a fuel station.
    have not reached some one that knows the fuel grade yet. or pricing.

Ride Miles to Hood River : 22 Miles (one way)
    Fueling @ Port of Hood River
    Fuel Grade Premium Super (92-93) Non Ethanol (the good stuff) $4.99 Per Gallon

to keep things simple and not have to deal with a Yaht club fueling. we could top off at hood river, then run to The Dalles and back to hood river to top off again. if we choose to!

Distance from Hood to Dalles is 21 miles (one way)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bonneville Trip.PNG 
Views:	492 
Size:	623.9 KB 
ID:	434415  
    Last edited by WakePirate; 06-21-2018 at 01:46 PM.

+1
    I'm available the 23rd and 24th or 30th and July 1st

+1
    the trip would have to be on a Saturday. as majority of the people i ride with have that day of the week open. so options are 23rd or 30th.

+1
    I vote for 23rd or 24th. With that being said, the 30th or the 1st might be much better weather. I made that run to to the Dam once, it was windy and extremely choppy.

To save gas and time, we could launch from Roster Rock, just east of Troutdale. Just a thought. Plenty of parking and space at Roster Rock.

Also, we could make a second Dam run the weekend/week of the 4th of July. Lots of people get or take time off work then.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant1984 View Post
    I vote for 23rd or 24th. With that being said, the 30th or the 1st might be much better weather. I made that run to to the Dam once, it was windy and extremely choppy.
    To save gas and time, we could launch from Roster Rock, just east of Troutdale. Just a thought. Plenty of parking and space at Roster Rock.
    Also, we could make a second Dam run the weekend/week of the 4th of July. Lots of people get or take time off work then.
    Thanks
    how was it on fuel? you and i have pretty much the same fuel consumption. the time you made this run. did you drop in rooster park?
    i know the ramp there. i just wanted to make it a little more epic. and longer. plus it sounds better going from the airport. plus we can stop by and top off at the camas fuel station on the water. that is not far from rooster rock. ill carry my +4 gallon tank that i got. worst case if i dont use it but some one runs out. we can figure things out. not like we will leave anyone stranded.

i say if you don't have a fuel can to carry or choose not to. i will talk to a few of my boat buddies. if they go then im sure they can carry some fuel for us.
    ideally i would like to depart from PDX. unless the majority vote says rooster rock. then lets do that.

SIDE NOTE!! AFTER WE GET A PLAN GOING, I WILL UPDATE THE MAIN POST WITH THE DETAILS FOR QUICK AND EASY REFERENCE!!!

+1
    Fuel consumption was OK. Slightly higher than average because of the choppy conditions. If we launch from PDX (which I'm OK with either way) and it's choppy, we will be going thru a lot of fuel.

I made it back to Roster Rock Boat Lauch that day with about 1/3 tank if I remember correctly. I was also doing a fair amount of wake jumping. The giant barges in the Columbia Gorge make a unique rolling wake behind them for about 200 feet.

I suggest keeping a close eye of not only the weather, but also wind intensity for the day selected.

The wind will make or break the trip up to the dam. Smaller PWCs will have a very difficult time making it to the dam during choppy conditions.

I've always been interested in a ride around Sauvies Island as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant1984 View Post
    Fuel consumption was OK. Slightly higher than average because of the choppy conditions. If we launch from PDX (which I'm OK with either way) and it's choppy, we will be going thru a lot of fuel.

I made it back to Roster Rock Boat Lauch that day with about 1/3 tank if I remember correctly. I was also doing a fair amount of wake jumping. The giant barges in the Columbia Gorge make a unique rolling wake behind them for about 200 feet.

I suggest keeping a close eye of not only the weather, but also wind intensity for the day selected.

The wind will make or break the trip up to the dam. Smaller PWCs will have a very difficult time making it to the dam during choppy conditions.

I've always been interested in a ride around Sauvies Island as well.
    yea we can vote on a backup plan ride. if weather does not play in our favor for selected day some of the group wanted to run to Salem from Oregon city. i will need to check fuel stations along the way and or how many fuel cans we will need. that will be a fun ride as well. and even if windy its not bad on the Willamette River.

we can choose a target day then as it gets closer we can adjust accordingly. ether cancel the ride and reschedule, or if its just windy, we can choose option B for a ride.

+1
    any one else interested in going? i have sent a PM to a few people and have not gotten a response from all of them yet.

i will soon update a list of people that want to go on main post soon. at least start to get a head count going of interested parties. then when its closer will update who all can actually make it.

+1
    I have updated information about the ride and details! please review. and let me know what you think! there is a Plan B ride option if weather is not in our favor. these plan B rides will happen later on as main rides.

please post up here! to show our interest in this group ride!

so far a ruff head count of interested parties is about 16 people that have told me they are going to try to make it. the guys that have responded on here have been counted. some of the people that are going to try to make it will also talk to there friends as well. so the chances of a good solid group is high!

we will talk about safety and rules at the docks before departure. we will have fun! but we want to stay safe and make sure we all get home safely! bringing a Gopro is highly recommended. we hope to make a good video edit to share with the world and gain interest of PWCs in our area!

lets make this happen!!!

+1
    I'm planning to be there with some of my friends here from Seattle, hope this will be a good trip. Weather should be good here next week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information