Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2018 Rxtx uses lots of gas...or does it?

This is my 9th watercraft but the first with 300hp. It uses more gas as I expected it would, but was surprised at the following....

My 2008 Rxt had a 15.9gal fuel tank and 8 bars on the gas guage. When you were at the last bar and it was blinking, you had about 2 gallons left.. which was confirmed when you filled the tank.

Now the 2018 I believe has the same size tank and 8 bars. So I'm using it yesterday....and I am at 2 solid bars...and then it goes to one bar that is blinking and the gas light is also blinking. Day over. Head for the launch, load up, drive home and stop at the gas station to fill, but it only takes 11.9 gallons. HUH? That means there was still 4 gallons in the tank. A quarter tank.

So is the machine really that bad on gas, or is the fuel guage being extra cautious so you don't get stranded somewhere? Anyone else experience the same?

BTW....I simply love this machine and the speakers add a whole new dimension to riding. I'm only 52 cause my birth certificate says so.

+1
    I've put 2 tanks through mine. Mine gets about the same mileage as my 15 RXP. We ride about 60-70 miles and make it back 2 maybe 3 bars.

+1
    The gage on my '17 RXT-260 works the same way. I estimate the low fuel light comes on when there's still about 1/3 of a tank, or about 5 gallons, left. I wish there was a better way to know exactly how much is left.

4. +1 by:

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    The gage on my '17 RXT-260 works the same way. I estimate the low fuel light comes on when there's still about 1/3 of a tank, or about 5 gallons, left. I wish there was a better way to know exactly how much is left.

You could do do what I did on my GP 1800. Drain the tank completely empty. Then fill using a measured container. Note how much fuel you added when the warning turns off. Then you know exactly what you have left when the warning comes on. I did this for all of the gauge readings on the GP 1800 since the Yamaha fuel gauge is so crappy

6. +1 by:

My 2017 RXT has 4-5 gallons left when the fuel light comes on. I checked it several times when I first got it. It is kind of annoying but you have to consider how fast it can burn 4 gallons when driving fast.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ls1rx7 View Post
    My 2017 RXT has 4-5 gallons left when the fuel light comes on. I checked it several times when I first got it. It is kind of annoying but you have to consider how fast it can burn 4 gallons when driving fast.
    I've found this to be about the same on all my modern 2010 + skis. At 2 bars I'm putting about 10 gallons in.

But yah the 300 can suck the fuel down riding in sport mode and being in the boost, on cruise/staying below boost it does very well IMO.

+1
    my buddies 2010 rxtx 260 stage 2. and my other buddies 2014 rxt 260 bone stock. are about the same fuel consumption as i am on my 2018 300.

its really hard to tell the difference because it really matters how you ride. when we rode in the winter. we did a few pulls and some messing around but i got about 60 miles on a tank. i had the fuel warning go on. and it just started blinking 1 bar as i was loading on the trailer. meaning i may have gotten a little more. but again we did not even ride in eco. just cruising in various speeds, with a few Wot runs. did not try to go the distance.

the other time i burned the tank in about a hour and a half. compared to about 3 hours. so it really all depends on rider input. but for the most part riding side by side with buddies. i have found that they are really close to the 260 fuel consumption.

+1
    Have you guys found your 300 to get better after breaking in? my first tank hit the fuel light i under one hour. I have a little over 4h on the machine now and 3 tanks burnt. One tank i was in eco and just cruised the lake at 50k... i would probably get 2h if i'm lucky in this mode. Defiantly WAY more then my 04' 215 RXP. Never bought the ski for fuel efficiency but it seems really excessive to me if it doesn't get a little better. I know my 2010 Yamaha was TERRIBLE the first 20h then got WAY better after that. Other than that its by far the best ski i've ever rode and if it doesn't get better... no regrets on my end

The 300's burn gas like crazy in Sport mode. And yes I find they are so conservative with the fuel gauge. Personally, when I am running kind of low, I just go to the fuel menu and pull up the distance to empty and set that to show on the home screen.

Per the owners manual: Low fuel level/light, approx 25% tank capacity, 3.7gal of fuel remaining.

My buddy and I have matching '18 RXT's and we've both found that we can ride a solid 3-4 hours on sport and touring modes and still have 1 to 2 bars left at the boat ramp. I'll admit that the fuel economy isn't the greatest on these units but then again you have to realize these machines are built for one thing, speed so it's not the top priority in regards to design. Either way if your worried about running out of gas do what I did and purchase a LinQ fuel caddie, it's saved me 4 times now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information