Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MSX 150 Turbo Replacement

Hello everyone,
    My name is Wilson and I have a 2004 MSX 150. It has been trouble free for the past five years of ownership. A rarity, I know. Last summer, I let some friends ride it and it got rolled and towed back in from the ocean. I immediately got the water out of the motor, changed the oil a few times, and thought I had it all good. This year when I took it out, it would only go 17 mph. I took it home and found sand in the turbocharger and turbo side of the intake. I realize that I need a new turbo, and to clean out the exhaust, intercooler, and everything on the intake before the turbo. There is no sand on the intake side of the intercooler or in the intake manifold. Before I get started on this project, I have a few questions for those who have been down this road. First, where is the best place to buy the turbo? Second, how did the sand get in the turbo charger? Third, do I really have to remove the intake manifold, jet pump, oil tank, and lift and rotate the engine to get the turbo out of this thing? That is what my service manual says anyway. Lastly, is there anything else I should be replacing or checking when I go through this procedure? Thank you so much for any help.

+1
    Welcome to Greenhulk!

The air input to the motor feeds directly into the turbo, so once water got into the hull, it probably mixed with sand and got sucked in.

There are numerous VERY knowledgeable folks here on GH with first hand knowledge about engine removal, I'm sure they will be by soon to guide you. (But your summary captures the high levels steps to engine removal, it isn't easy on these machines...)

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Yup. You have to do exactly as the manual says to get the turbo out. If you have a manual or electric hoist that makes engine removal much easier. You can suspend the motor off the mounts to get at things that would normally be impossible to remove. I have had my motor out of my 150 several times and it will be coming out again within the next few weeks

+1
    Welcome!
    Yes, it's a darn near full engine pull to get the turbo-manifold off. Manual gives proper steps. No real shortcuts to it. Be sure to have some good 5mm Allen key/wrenches... the ones built into the sockets are nicer than just the "L" ones.

You will end up removing your entire intake tract: turbo, hardpipes, intercooler, throttle body, intake manifold. So be sure to clean them good... especially the intercooler.

Many (most?) MSX 150's (and 110's) get parted so, shouldn't be hard to find a nice, low-hour used turbo. I've gone that route before. I've also bought a new aftermarket VW/Audi slightly larger compressor that fits the exhaust turbo manifold perfectly. Still using that turbo with good results (ECU can handle the slightly larger compressor just fine).

Also be aware... the 2 MAP sensors (1 on the upper hardpipe, 1 on the intake manifold)... are likely damaged from the saltwater/sand exposure. You should probably consider replacing these. Also, ensure you've gotten all water out of your oil. For oil flushes... use cheaper diesel truck oil 15w-40 Rotella or Dela (non-syn)... if you're only warming up the engine to flush again. For your last oil change... go back to the proper Mobil 1 15w-50 full-syn oil. I get my oil filters from Randy at WeberPower.

Cheers!

5. +1 by:

Thanks guys! I started into it last night. The intercooler is completely packed with sand on the turbo side, but the turbo actually spins just fine (I'm still replacing it though). I guess that's why it wouldn't go very fast. Tonight, hopefully I'll get the jet pump out, remove the intake manifold, and get the motor ready to remove. Kind of a fun project as I really like seeing how everything works on this machine.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonMSX View Post
    Thanks guys! I started into it last night. The intercooler is completely packed with sand on the turbo side, but the turbo actually spins just fine (I'm still replacing it though). I guess that's why it wouldn't go very fast. Tonight, hopefully I'll get the jet pump out, remove the intake manifold, and get the motor ready to remove. Kind of a fun project as I really like seeing how everything works on this machine.

You could also also send your turbo off to be rebuilt. I had mine rebuilt and had the compressor wheel upgraded.

+1
    Greetings!
    are you sure you need to replace the turbo?

I was sure until I started to take it apart. There is sand in the pressure end of it but it spins just fine. I just figured with the sand being around it, that I should replace it. The real reason for the poor performance was that the intercooler is packed with sand.

Well, I've got the motor loose and ready to come out tomorrow. Removing the jet pump was a lot easier than I thought it would be and it still looks like new. So, that's good. I'm guessing that the drive shaft doesn't have to come all the way out? Just pulled back away from the coupler? Also, I wasn't able to get the intake manifold to come completely out. I'm guessing the motor has to be lifted a little to get to two of the bolts? This is quite a project!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WilsonMSX View Post
    Well, I've got the motor loose and ready to come out tomorrow. Removing the jet pump was a lot easier than I thought it would be and it still looks like new. So, that's good. I'm guessing that the drive shaft doesn't have to come all the way out? Just pulled back away from the coupler? Also, I wasn't able to get the intake manifold to come completely out. I'm guessing the motor has to be lifted a little to get to two of the bolts? This is quite a project!!
    Yeah... jetpump is easy compared to the engine! You are correct... you only need pull driveshaft rearward enough to disengage from the coupler. The intake manifold and the integral heat exchanger bracket that fastens to the underside of the manifold... are my least favorite parts of the engine pull/replace. Once you get the engine off the mounts... you will be able to lift it a little and tip it to the exhaust side... but not much. The lower xchanger bracket will hangup on the side of the hull. There are two bolts that fasten the intake manifold to the lower xchanger bracket that are right up against the side of the hull. They are hard to get to. Then there are 2 bolts holding the lower xchangher bracket to the block. One you can see (forward one)... the other is blind... under the bracket (rear one). It's a real PITA.

Cheers!

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information