Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1996 Yamaha Waveraider starter removal guidance?

Hi, I am new to the forum but reckon I will be using it a fair bit, I am extremely new to the world of jet skis. We have just purchased a Yamaha Waveraider 1100 1996 and I have been told by the previous owner that the starter is not working on it. Me and my friends are a bit handy with mechanics but nothing special at all,, i have seen a few guides on the forum on removing the starter which has led us to remove the internal exhaust which we have done successfully, however we are struggling to get the starter off. Can anyone send any pics or guidance on how to remove it, how many bolts are holding it in? What's the best way to get to it?

At the minute we are struggling to fully locate it and to make sure it's the right thing we are trying to remove it but seems stuck pretty hard, but we have only come across 1 bolt that needed removing. Any advice is well appreciated! Many thanks

They can be a real pain the *** to get off if they have been in there a long time. It should have two bolts on the rear of the starter maybe one already came out. I took mine out in pieces it broke off at the nosecone. That shouldn't be too big off a deal if this happens you just have to pull the stator cover move the bendix out of the way and tap it out with a hammer and something that will get in there good without hurting anything.

there are 2 bolts at the rear of the starter, then one nut on a lug for the positive electrical connection on the middle of the starter. Hull is a little tight on the raider but use a telescoping inspection mirror. If memory serves the mounting bolts are 12mm heads and the electrical connection nut is 10mm.
    Are you sure the starter is the problem as these are known for start/stop switch problems and starter relay problems.

Thanks for the replies, were not sure if it's the starter or not just really going on advice from the people we bought it off. Any advice on how to check the start/stop switch and starter relay? One thing I can say is that when we press the start stop switch it does make a noise as if the starter is turning but that's all.

One other thing the only thing I did suspect was that when we connected a battery to it, and pressed the start/stop button which did make the starter motor turn or make a noise that the digital display would light up with something but it didn't?
    Last edited by Astura; 06-05-2018 at 02:01 AM.

+1
    Sounds like the starter is spinning and the bendix is not jumping out to engage the flywheel, probably rusty. Remove the front stator cover and inspect the bendix. The display won't wake up until the motor spins a bit.

Thanks, we managed to get the starter off, had a look at it, gave it a quick clean put it back together and tried it on a 12v 9amp battery (only one we have available), we are noticing we are getting 12v through but when we press the start switch it goes down to 10v with the starter in motion but this is still not enagaing the freewheel, does this sound familiar?

Also can anyone recommend a decent battery?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Sounds like the starter is spinning and the bendix is not jumping out to engage the flywheel, probably rusty. Remove the front stator cover and inspect the bendix. The display won't wake up until the motor spins a bit.
    This is what I'm thinking too. I'm not too well versed on the 1100, but both the starter and front stator area on these motors is tough to get visuals on when the motors are in the hull. I personally yank the motor out when I used to have issues because it's not that hard. Just need the necessary reinstall gaskets. Might seem like more work now, but will save you head aches later on.

Look at this picture how do we get the flywheel off to get to the Bendix out?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180607-WA0002.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	434432

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180607-WA0003.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	434433

+1
    If memory serves me right, you can remove bendix with flywheel on(starter out)Maybe Bassackwards though.But I'd take it off and clean.Loosen bolt on snout ( it is threaded into crank),use impact. Use puller. BTW has that ski sunk.Lots of corrosion.

+1
    Eeeewwwwww! Piston stop or a couple feet of rope down front cylinder, unscrew the flywheel bolt, douse it with a good penetrating oil in where the flywheel bolt was. Use a good harmonic balancer/ steering wheel puller to remove it. There are 3 threaded holes for the puller bolts. Insert a small bolt with washer that will just sit on the crank snout. That will give your puller something to push on without boogering up the crank snout. Tighten the puller up TIGHT, then tap around on the puller bolts. If doing that a few times doesn't make it come off just leave the puller on tight and check it the next day. Probably find it laying there apart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information