+1

SeaDoo 2006 GTX Wake Overhaul Build

Ello GH,
    This week I'll be picking up a ski needing a bit of work. Thought I'd post some pics n things here for the lols and help if something doesn't go to plan.

The paintwork needs a refresh, and some of the plastics need a fixup. Had a look at the insides and they look clean enough.
    Known issues:
    - Jetpump/impeller pretty beaten up: wear ring is cooked, a few vanes are chipped and the whole pump is already disassembled. Thinking of going for a full metal SBT housing and solas 11/19 impeller
    - Rear engine mount is gone, so I'll take it to a shop for that one for an alignment (unless someone in brissy australia has an alignment tool handy and wants a few beers)
    - Battery dead (as usual)
    - paint

So the overall plan is to
    1) Get engine running (driveline installed) (new battery)
    2) Total service (Oil+filter, motor mounts, carbon ring, wear ring, pump, impeller, spark plugs)
    3) Candoopro since it's pay for itself pretty quickly
    4) Intake grate/sponsons? (how effective are they really)
    5) Finger throttle, hydroturf and paaaaiiinnntttt

Motor's got 230-odd hours on it and should be running fine (last used around 6months ago), any precautionary things I should do before I kick it over for the first time? I heard the exhaust valves are a weak point in the older 4-tecs so not sure if I should pull the top off beforehand or just see if it spins up okay without a load.

Cheers
    Andy

+1
    Update time:
    Jet pumps off, looks like a rebuild is all it needs, new bearings and a wear ring and it'll be right. The impeller is stock but is in otherwise good condition, so for the time being I will continue with that one to save the $$$ in case other problems arise later.
    New battery still required, but no codes are being spat out in self-diag mode so fingers crossed the physical motor internals are still sweet.

The motor hasnt been run in a while, so I might make a thread about checks before I crank it over (doubtful it was winterised or anything), oil is a little dark so that'll be needing to be changed (with fresh filter).

Other observations include the a fishfinder transducer on the back (will be removed) - but this indicates a lot of hours were used pretty calmly (hopefully). I'll remove OPAS soon.

+1
    So got the ski kicked over, idles smoothly, theres some rocker noise or other kinda hiss but I think its just the motor doing it's thing. Pump is sent in for a rebuild and started bringing the colour back to its former glory.
    Next job is to fix these cracks and cover that section with carbon wrap:

Here's how its sitting at the moment, gonna order new turf soon after I get it in the water;

I'm digging the thread. I have a couple 2004 GTXs so I'm definitely watching to see how your build works out. Subscribed.

+1

OPAS Removal

Cheers man,
    Today all I did was strip the OPAS out and will rig up some laser cutting files tonight, might send them in to get cut tomorrow if I have the time, going to run 6mm perspex. I'm tempted to pull the hosing out but its pretty hard to get to so we'll see how we go.
    I'll post the files later tonight, someone might find them useful (RIVA ones will end up costing like $150AUD after shipping so cutting some plastic ones cut should be much less...)

Took some photos coz everyone loves photos:
    I ended up following the RIVA guide to pull everything off, even though its pretty self explanatory to strip it out.
    Removed the OPAS rack:

Then ditching the paddles - only held on by a small 3 or 4mm allen screw which I thought was interesting. Overall the entire mechanism is pretty flimsy and I can see why they cause handling issues.

And here's the parts I'll draw up some files from:

_________________EDIT_______________
    Drew up files for OPAS:

Made a thread for the files if anyone wants them:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...06#post2953306

Cheers,
    Andy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	434772  
    Last edited by ranga97; 06-14-2018 at 05:22 AM.

+1
    Bit of slow progress, but progress is progress:

Fixed the cracks in the hood, decided on using carbon-look vinyl wrap to cover that section of the hood instead of painting, should hold up fine considering the ski won't be stored outside.
    Other updates:
    • wet sanded, cut, polished and waxed the entire top of the ski
    • hit faded black plastics with the heat gun - surprisingly effective, but I wonder if it degrades the plastics quality other than the surface layer appearing refreshed...
    • OPAS block-off plates were cut and are now installed using polyurethane sealant/adhesive (black goop)
    • new stickers installed
    • purchased bilge pump, hydroturf, aluminium tube (free flow exhaust) and a few other bits and pieces

Still waiting for the jet pump to be rebuilt, should be tomorrow hopefully.
    Photos will be uploaded tomorrow

+1
    Another update:
    • Jet pumps in
    • Drained old fuel - fresh tank of 98
    • Oil Changed - Replaced with 10W-40 Castrol Power1 GPS (motorcycle MA2 spec semi synth)
    • Installed bilge pump (still gotta do wiring)
    • Gave it a quick run, the fresh good fuel has really cleaned it up
    • Finished fixing the cracked hood, covering with carbon look vinyl tomorrow

Fitted tow water cut off valve:

Old oil colour:

Hood fix

1100GPH Bilge Pump (auto float switch)

Installed:

Still needs (to my knowledge)
    • Trailer rust wire wheeled
    • Trailer bearings re-packed
    • Straight through exhaust (since I like the idea of being obnoxious, will probs revert down the track lol)
    • Idle Issue - High idle a little unstable (around 2200) - Thinking its the Idle Air bypass valve, so that'll be the next issue to address

Also it seems to have a fair bit of head noise, or could be the timing chain, not entirely sure from the sound but its not a knock, more of a shhhhhh sound, any ideas if its normal or a problem?

Thread Information