Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

How are you all liking the GP1800?

How are all of the owners liking their GP1800's? As a past Sea Doo owner it's time for me to look for a new machine. Since I don't want to start a flame war, let's just say quality and reliability left a lot to be desired with my RXPX. Kind of hoping the new GP1800's are solid machines? Anyone out there have a bunch hours on theirs yet? What kind of GPS numbers are you owners seeing with a few mods?

+1
    ive got about 5 hours on my 2018 and I love it so far. bone stock with stage 1 Maptune only I saw 76.6mph with only 3hrs on the ski.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dan87951 View Post
    How are all of the owners liking their GP1800's?

... hoping the new GP1800's are solid machines?

Anyone out there have a bunch hours on theirs yet?

What kind of GPS numbers are you owners seeing with a few mods?
    The GP1800 is a hot rod. Light weight hull with a big engine.

We we have two from 2017 with about 70 hours so far, friends have also bought GP1800. All have been excellent, no significant issues.

Basic air intake upgrades and the Stage 1 Plus MaptunerX tune, along with matching impeller upgrade, can run better than 75mph at 8000, circa 80mph (or faster) if allowed to spin higher.

The Riva ride plate and intake grate are well regarded. The stock ride plate is kinda loose on turns, the Riva plate is better. I chose the even longer Worx ride plate for better rough water performance, now with Jimís cut for hopefully even better tracking.

I do recommend reinforcing the hull inside at the intake grate rear bolts. This has been well documented and is a one time job. The larger Yamaha hull inserts are now sold in the GH store.

The RiDE system is very nice. It is intuitive to learn and use. No issues with reliability.

The dash display is readable and straightforward, but is a tad basic. Fuel level shows in 1/4 tank increments, tachometer is graphical only. The aftermarket CANDooPro GPS speedometer module shows GPS accurate speeds on the factory dash.

I have added a bunch of upgrades, including additional side cleats for dock lines, tow hook J, 1000gph bilge pump, Deka AGM battery, etc. Many of these I have posted details and photos elesewhere in GH.

Also mounted a large Garmin GPS as we often ride in unfamiliar waters.

+1
    2018 GP stg 2 with 12 hours, big step up from my 05 RXP stg 2. Handling is sharp, really like the ride neutral/reverse feature, with the exception that steering in reverse is counter intuitive. Currently 82-83 mph at 8,500 rpm, I'll up the limiter to 8,800 once I install the titainium valve retainers. A few pros and cons, relatively good room around the engine, nice stock mats (IMO), good size rear deck, comes with a folding boarding ladder. Cons for me, smaller front storage with no removable bucket, no air and water temp display, but I did gain voltage read out. Seats kind of wide.
    I personally feel like the 3 cyl with my Gibson muffler has a better (more character) sound than the 4 cyl, but the 4 cyl RIPS! No regrets. FYI, one of the reasons I went with the Yam was that over the years I had had 2 separate issues with hull delamination, one time at speed a 3-4 foot section peeled off causing a violent turn that nearly rag dolled me, NOT fun!
    I was at the river over Memorial weekend and my campground neighbor had showed up with a pair of new Sparks, after a couple of days there I asked him how he liked them, he replied that the were really fun and playful, much like his old Waveblaster. I offered him to give my GP a try, his wife and I watched him ride for a few minutes and when he pulled back in his wife asked, well how was it? His response,, Shit! I want one! Lol!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Outboardjohn View Post
    ... really like the ride neutral/reverse feature, with the exception that steering in reverse is counter intuitive. ...
    With the RiDE system, the steering is always the same. Turn the handlebars in the direction you want the BOW to turn.

Going forward, turn left to have the bow go left.

In Reverse or Neutral, turn the handlebar left to have the bow swing left.

Only takes a few moments to get the hang of it.

The RiDE system is different from the Seadoo iBR.

+1
    Thanks everyone! This was exactly what I was looking for. Now that the SeaDoo is sold, it's time to start calling some dealers.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    With the RiDE system, the steering is always the same. Turn the handlebars in the direction you want the BOW to turn.

Going forward, turn left to have the bow go left.

In Reverse or Neutral, turn the handlebar left to have the bow swing left.

Only takes a few moments to get the hang of it.

The RiDE system is different from the Seadoo iBR.

Takes longer than that. I have 25 hours on mine now and I still mess up the steering inteverse

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    ... I still mess up the steering inteverse

+1
    I only have 11 hrs on mine but I love it! Excellent linear acceleration, great top speed with minimal mods, very responsive steering and really light and playful when jumping waves and messing around. I am currently at 83 mph with stage 1+ parts and Deans team 8600 tune. Definitely an amazing ski!

+1
    I am in the same situation. I sold my 07 rxp the other day and I am getting my GP 1800 this week. Rxp was fun and ran a respectable 73mph. Im hoping the Gp will be everything they say. With that being said I dont plan on dumping money into a new ski. Just a tune and maybe ribbon delete. Will I still have to do the hull reiforcement if Im just running mid 70’s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information