Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

+1
    Today, I pulled the carbs off the ski. I'm planning on tearing them down tomorrow and cleaning the insides with carb cleaner and compressed air.

I've also removed the bad, stiff, saltwater steering cable. My used, ebay, OEM replacement will go in before the carbs get installed.

I've never looked at the reeds. Could the reeds be causing some power loss? With the carbs off, I would think that they'd be easy to get to.

+1
    Carbs rebuilt about 3-4 weeks ago. I installed brand new plugs as well. Full tank of fresh gas. Took the ski for a test spin yesterday evening and even though the engine seemed to run great, I couldn't even hit 55mph on gps. The water was decent; not close to glass but not all that bad.

I brought it home and did another compression check. My numbers seemed to be down about 5psi, from 110ish (see post #7 above) to about 105 but they were all pretty much even. Then I started wondering if maybe the engine is starving for air or if I have an exhaust leak. I decided to test ride the ski without the seat but it was too late and the sun was going down.

This morning I head out without the seat on. After the no-wake zone I hit the throttle and the ski rockets up to a nice 57.3mph on gps and then I noticed that it suddenly veered slightly to the right and the speed slowed down to about 55. Just like before, no matter what I did, I couldn't get the ski to exceed 55mph.

The fact that the ski veered to the right leads me to believe that its a handling issue. In other words, something on the underside of the hull. I've already got aluminum trim tabs from George so I know it's not a broken, OEM plastic trim tab issue. I checked the bolts to the ride plate and intake grate and all were tight. Something else seems to be going on under the water.

+1
    UPDATE:

I took the ski out about a week ago and did some more runs. Very strange-this time it was most definitely pulling to the left instead of pulling to the right like the last time I had it out. I did full throttle runs in both directions thinking that maybe it was the wind. It wasn't and 55.4mph was the best that I could do on GPS. It was a very noticeable pull to the left!

I trailered the ski and took a good look at the bottom of the hull to see if something jumped out at me. Nothing except for the sponsons being uneven. I adjusted them to make them even but it will be later this week before I get a chance to try the ski again.

+1
    UPDATE 2:

Took the ski out about 5 days ago. The sponsons are both set about even. Once I got past the no-wake zone, I squeezed the throttle and started to accelerate. At about 30mph, the ski did and abrupt little "hook" and halfway tried to throw me off ! Okay, it wasn't that bad but it was definitely noticeable that something was going on with the handling! The engine is running like a champ. Absolutely perfect.

Again, the water wasn't great and the best speed I saw was 56.2 mph on GPS. This time, I had to keep the steering slightly to the right. I could tell that something just didn't feel right. In other words, something is going on with the bottom of the hull.

After trailering the ski, I crawled under it and used a screwdriver to pry on the intake grate, ride plate and the two aluminum trim tabs from George. All seem to be tight. I used the handle of the screwdriver to tap on the fiberglass bottom just to see if there was some kind of delamination. All seemed to be good. I even jacked the ski up off the bunks so I could look at the fiberglass that rests on the bunks. All looked in order.

At this point, I'm thinking that it has to be something going on with the sponsons. I've pulled on them by hand but they seem to be in good shape and intact. However, after what happened with the OEM plastic trim tabs under the hull years ago, I'm not ruling out that something is going on with one or both of the sponsons at speed. I'm thinking about removing the sponsons just to rule them out. Has anyone removed their sponsons? I'm guessing that I'll have to remove everything from the inside rear of the hull just as I did when I replaced the broken, OEM plastic trim tabs.

Any help, thoughts, ideas, advice would be appreciated!

+1
    I took off my stock sponsons and replaced them with Riva ones. But I canít remember a whole about the particulars.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I took off my stock sponsons and replaced them with Riva ones. But I can’t remember a whole about the particulars.
    Cutlass, do you think that I could just remove the sponsons and try to ride the ski without them? I know the ski wouldn't cut and carve the same but I really just want to see how the ski does in a straight line. If without the sponsons I got my top speed back and the ski didn't pull to one side, I'd conclude that something was wrong with one or both of the sponsons.

+1
    You could if there werenít empty bolt holes through the side of the hull.

+1
    Maybe I could just put a nut and bolt along with some o-rings through each of the holes in the side of the hull. I've got a huge assortment of o-rings and nuts and bolts are no problem.

+1
    Go for it!

+1
    I made some progress today braving the almost 100 degree temps in my garage!

I took everything apart inside the back of the ski to get to the aft bolts holding the sponsons to the hull. In the pictures above, you can see the OEM sponson mount studs and two bolt heads filling the holes near the stern.

Its possible that I may get the ski on the water tomorrow, Monday 30 July 18 for a test ride. Possible but I'm not holding my breath. Nonetheless, the ski is ready to test without the sponsons. At least I'll be able to either confirm that the sponsons are causing the weird handling and pulling or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cherrysanssponson.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	437330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cherrysanssponson2.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	437331  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information