Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    +1
    So are you eating the diagnostic time and the handling with these repeat repairs? Ouch!

I place a straw or piece of thin tubing over that atmospheric vent hose before I repot the CPU board---just for that possibility. The potting gel I utilized was recommended to me by HiPeRcO. It's viscosity is nearly the same as water when you first mix it. So if any gets in that tube, it goes right on top of what I'm assuming is a diaphragm in the barometric pressure sensor. They'll be no cleaning that out.

+1
    I'm going to assume your CanDoo software will report the barometric pressure of the EMM, as DW does. When the EMM is returned, I'd check the barometric pressure and compare it to another reference to make sure the sensor is reading accurately. If the tube to the sensor is just cleared, the sensor may work. However, if there is potting gel on the diaphragm, it will not be accurate. In turn, this will result in an erroneous fuel/air mixture ratio.

+1
    Yes I am eating it but it's not his or my fault. I am trying to get it all sorted out so he can have a good time on it. His other ski just like this one the fuel regulator fell off, all good now with the 1/4 hose barb. The tube looks to be filled with the potting gel or what ever he has on it. Candoo check the pressure I am not sure but I will definitely look into it to see. I will have to see what it should read if it's possible. What gets me is that it ran really good for the first 15 minutes then he got it ran good for 15-20 is what he said when he had it then it all at once shut down & had to be towed with the other ski. From looking at the tube there is no way it can breathe. I will be send the diagnostic sheet so he can't say something that I did. I showed this to the customer, he is getting frustrated with down time and shipping charges.

+1
    I'm not quite sure how the barometric pressure operates. I did take a close look at them when working on a CPU board. I'm fairly confident it has some sort of diaphragm in it. Just by the fact the EMM is generating a fault code specifically related to barometric pressure sensor, that is telling me it has some type of internal failure detection that is signaling the EMM.

The service manual indicates which codes will set the SLOW mode, but nothing about if a code will set a no start. However, the "Crank, but no start" chart does reference a malfunctioning sensor as a possible no start cause. So I wouldn't rule out the barometric pressure fault codes are inhibiting an engine run.

From reading your posts, I get the impression you are thorough and quality minded, so I'm assuming the EMM was not signaling a "Check Engine" indication (CEL) when you installed the repaired EMM----even though the barometric pressure tube was obviously plugged at that time. So that tells me either the sensor, the EMM, or both have some type of delay to allow the sensor to stabilize or self clear an error. That may explain why it ran for the first 10 or 15 minutes.

+1
    Thanks Martincom,. I did clean out the hose & just got back from water testing no luck. It will start but will not go a few feet then shuts down does this every time I give it throttle then it get to where it gets a little harder to start & now I noticed it's not showing the voltage & rpms, the problem has to be the EMM. I will hook it up again this evening to see if it threw it again or anything else. Talked with Harris & he's getting to be a little smart alec said the barometric pressure sensor is not repairable which I figure that but I think it can be replaced. He said he's just really busy this time of year, well this has warranty still. I am going to email lakeside EMM to see if the part can be replaced or anyone else you know please let me know. So yes I am eating up my time with all of this.

+1
    I'd speculate Harris just doesn't want to honor his warranty. Won't this be the third time he's been into it? If he is the one utilizing silicone RTV to pot underneath the real potting gel (which is pricey), it makes them a bear to work on. Components and board plating can easily ripped from the board when attempting to clear it. I wouldn't want to go into an EMM that has been re-potted that way as I'd likely create more problems than I would remedy.

The barometric pressure sensor was manufactured by Motorola Semiconductor sector. A number of years ago, it was spun off as a separate company from Motorola Inc. I'm sure there was a name change, as the remainder of Motorola has always been protective of the trademark name. Whether or not they are manufacturing the barometric pressure sensor is a moot point, as he should have an abundance of CPU boards on-hand that he has told other people were un-repairable. Once the potting gel is cleared away, removing the barometric pressure sensor is easy. I have a CPU board that IS un-repairable and it has a good barometric pressure sensor on it.

I wouldn't have any patience for a vendor who didn't move my warranty repair to the head of the line. I already paid and now I'm being subject to further expense and inconvenience. How long has it been since you paid Harris for the EMM repair? If it has been less than 90 days, you can request PayPal and/or your credit card company to intervene. They'll do a charge back.

+1
    Third time if this gets sent back. The one he sent back after the original EMM been into said it was fried. The next from another ski it was fried then waited a couple of weeks or so to find another one. Now which this one did run, now having problems. I hooked it up again it's still showing the same thing after the first one was cleared. It took a few minutes to connect, why, I don't know. It connected right away any other times. Now the voltage & RPM isn't working at all. I put my hand on the side of the EMM it was warm. I have not talked with the owner yet till I find some other things out. This sucks. It's not that hard but I have others to get out but this is first priority after all had been paid. Thanks again. I don't think it's been 30 days yet on this one all together probably a little over 40 days. I put this one in before the fourth.

+1
    Hey guys did lakeside change email address ? I emailed him a few days ago & not heard back from him. I did clean what gel was in the hose still no luck. RPM and voltage isn't working now plus it get harder to start after a few attempts. I guess we'll see what Harris has to say since it's under warranty by him.

+1
    I don't see an email from you...can you please resend to [email protected], thanks.

+1
    It's ok my wife talked with you today. Maybe I didn't get the address right.

Thank you
    Scott

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread Information