+1

2 Stroke Problems

Hello Everyone,

I have a 97 GP 1200 and here is what it's doing. It ran great last weekend. I realized I hadn't changed the plugs this season so when I got back I changed the plugs. A few days after I went to start it and it wouldn't crank. So I bought a new battery, thinking it was a week battery. The new battery wouldn't crank either at first. The in started right up. Sounds fine. When I dropped it in the water it had no power at all. I wish I have saved the old set of plugs to try again but they are long gone.

Ski is super clean and carbs were re-done last season. I don't have a pressure gauge but If I put my thumb on the plug holes and crank there is a strong suction. Any ideas of the next steps?

Thanks so much as always!

+1
    Check for loose grounds and connector corrosion.

+1
    When the battery dies anti theft comes on hold button on dash

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiexp View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I have a 97 GP 1200 and here is what it's doing. It ran great last weekend. I realized I hadn't changed the plugs this season so when I got back I changed the plugs. A few days after I went to start it and it wouldn't crank. So I bought a new battery, thinking it was a week battery. The new battery wouldn't crank either at first. The in started right up. Sounds fine. When I dropped it in the water it had no power at all. I wish I have saved the old set of plugs to try again but they are long gone.

Ski is super clean and carbs were re-done last season. I don't have a pressure gauge but If I put my thumb on the plug holes and crank there is a strong suction. Any ideas of the next steps?

Thanks so much as always!
    Since you're thinking sparks plugs is the issue: When you bought the new plugs, are you 1,000% sure you put the same plugs back in? Are you 1,000% sure they were gapped right? Lesson learned, just throw the old plugs in the boxes that the new plugs came in, then start an old plug pile somewhere.

Also, you had to mess with the spark plug wires and boots, you may have unintentionally damaged them or corroded/rotted stuff failed when you touched them. You want to cut back some of the plug wire to expose good conductor and reseat the boot or better is to buy new boots to install on cut back plug wire.

Also, while the engine is dying or struggling to run, pull the choke to see if it is a mixture issue, like from an intake leak.

Does it run smooth, as in running on all cylinders? Or does it sound like a Subaru aka misfiring?

Thread Information